Heat pump assistance - Dallas, TX

FtWorthHorn

Apr 13, 2021
Dallas
Hi all, quick question as I plan my next pool addition. I have a large, old rectangular pool, about 16 x 32 with a very deep end and a total estimated volume of 30,000 gallons. While we obviously live in a very warm area, we're in a hilly, tree-covered part of town and I would estimate the pool only gets 2-3 hours of direct sunlight per day in the early afternoon. As a result, we normally open the pool for the season around Memorial Day and it's pretty chilly, especially for the small kids. We also end up closing in early September, which shouldn't be necessary given temperature. Note we also have a solar cover which we leave on.

My goal is NOT to have the pool heated year-round but rather to get the pool up to temp earlier/extend later as well as provide a more comfortable experience in the early season. Two questions, then, for the board:

1. This seems like a near-ideal heat pump setup given that we never need to heat up fast, we live in a hot area, and we don't need year-round heating.

2. Any common suggestions on this board re: size and brand?

Edit: Obviously the thread below has a ton of useful info, and came to a similar conclusion, so just let me know if I'm missing something that makes the situations different.

Last edited:
1. This seems like a near-ideal heat pump setup given that we never need to heat up fast, we live in a hot area, and we don't need year-round heating.

Welcome to TFP.

What pump do you have?

What is your pump runtime?

You will need to run your pump the time you want heat.

2. Any common suggestions on this board re: size and brand?

There is no substitute for BTUs. Get the highest BTU HP you can afford.

What other equipment do you have? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment. Sometimes matching the HP brand with your pump or automation can be beneficial.

Whatever HP you get confirm who in your area will provide warranty and service on it. Do not assume the company you buy from can service it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.