Heat Pump Advice

Apr 29, 2016
mass
I have a 37'x17' inground pool in New England. Our pool is always too cold as it barely breaks 72* during the summer. Someone just gave me a 72,000 but auqacool heat pump that was used on an above-ground pool. I know my pool would need 130-140k BTU if I was buying one. Do you think it's worth piping, installing the electricity? will the smaller unit still heat the pool or will it cause greater electrical use because it will need to run longer.
any advice will be appreciated.

the person that gave you an aquacall is awesome, those are great heat pumps... It will take a little longer to get it to temp but it should keep it there no problem.... A heat pump works different than a gas heater... You leave the heat pump on to maintain the temp.. on gas you heat it up before you use it... with a heat pump if you set it to 80 degrees it will get it to 80 degrees and then turn on and off to keep it there... (how long is the question that will not get answered until you get it working )

if you are heating have a solar cover on at all times unless you are using it, it will keep most of the heat in the pool... the other question is will you use the pool everyday or just the weekends? that will dictate how you can run the heat pump...

the best part is the 72k is more efficient (uses less electricity) than the 140k so once it is at the set temp it will keep it there using less electricity than the140k.. :)

A 72,000 btu heater will heat your 22,500 gallon pool by about .38 degrees/hour or less. It will take a while to heat your pool significantly and you will need to run your pump and the HP 24/7 to maintain a temperature since once you lose the heat it will take a while to heat it back up.

A good pool cover will be mandatory to retain the heat the HP is creating and you are paying for.

Last edited:
the best part is the 72k is more efficient (uses less electricity) than the 140k so once it is at the set temp it will keep it there using less electricity than the140k.. :)

Not really. The 72K heater needs to run twice as long to create the heat of a 140K HP. Is the 72K HP more then 50% greater efficiency then the 140K HP? I doubt it.

Reactions: cowboycasey
When you run the electrical supply, make sure that it is sized for a 140,000 btu/hr heat pump in case you ever want to replace it with a bigger heat pump.

At night, your gain rate will be less due to colder temperatures.

Check the performance ratings of the heat pump for different weather conditions like temperature and humidity.

Reactions: lilhall
Not really. The 72K heater needs to run twice as long to create the heat of a 140K HP. Is the 72K HP more then 50% greater efficiency then the 140K HP? I doubt it.
I just looked it up but I want to make sure we are talking the exact model here.. The closest I could find is the T75 and the highest of that model is the T135.. the T75 used 3.9kw and the T135 uses 6.8kw so exactly half :)

as for the efficiency they are almost exactly the same at 80/80/80 T75 is 5.6 and the T135 is 5.7..

The question is once it is at the set temp (say 80 degrees) it should run the same amount of time to keep it there as the T135 but it will use exactly half the kw power to do it... Or will it take 2 times the amount of time to run to keep it there? if it does it will cost almost exactly the same price in kw power as the T135...

where you will save money is if the T135 takes 30 minutes to get it back to 80 degrees and the T75 takes it 45 minutes, then you are using 15 minutes less energy ...

Or am I totally off my rocker :)

when it comes down to it they are 8,000 dollars or more ahead by getting a free heater (y)

I just looked it up but I want to make sure we are talking the exact model here.. The closest I could find is the T75 and the highest of that model is the T135.. the T75 used 3.9kw and the T135 uses 6.8kw so exactly half :)

as for the efficiency they are almost exactly the same at 80/80/80 T75 is 5.6 and the T135 is 5.7..

The question is once it is at the set temp (say 80 degrees) it should run the same amount of time to keep it there as the T135 but it will use exactly half the kw power to do it... Or will it take 2 times the amount of time to run to keep it there? if it does it will cost almost exactly the same price in kw power as the T135...

where you will save money is if the T135 takes 30 minutes to get it back to 80 degrees and the T75 takes it 45 minutes, then you are using 15 minutes less energy ...

Or am I totally off my rocker :)

when it comes down to it they are 8,000 dollars or more ahead by getting a free heater (y)
Thank you it is the T75 and we are very happy that they gave it to us.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.