Heat pump advice in New Mexico

Jul 14, 2016
Iowa City, IA
Our Raypak gas heater is leaking and replacement parts are about $1200, new heater online just over $2k and now I've started to consider a heat pump. Considerations: 1. my equipment room is indoors so cold weather will be a very minimal issue especially since we usually open the pool in April and close in October or November and no hot tub. 2. We are high desert (Albuquerque, elevation 5,100 feet) - weather is mild in the summer, rarely above high 90s but very low humidity (not sure if that is a big deal with the heat pump). 3. We just had solar installed - we may have to buy a little more power than we otherwise would without a heat pump but i think it will be small and still within the low consumption blocks with the power co. (lower rates). 4. Our gas heater is 399,000 BTU (pool is large 20x40'). I'm not that worried about it taking a week or so to heat the pool at beginning of season.

From what I've read, the electricity to power a heat pump seems to be cheaper than same energy needed to power the gas heater. I'm not sure if my climate will minimize potential energy savings with the heat pump. Any advice is much appreciated!

Well after some further reading it seems that indoorninstallation is ill-advised. I suppose I could install some crazy ventilation into my equipment room but energy savings may be lost. Looks like I'm better off with gas. Perhaps others could benefit from the questions regarding my region and weather though for outdoor heat pump installation.

Welcome to TFP!

It is likely that a heat pump is a good option for your pool and climate. But, you are correct that heat pump installation indoors is not advisable due to the significant need for make up air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.