Heat/Cool pump for a tiny pool in Central Texas - terrible idea?

Obi Uno

May 11, 2020
Austin, Texas
Background and Vision
We are looking to build a very small in-ground fiberglass pool with year-round utility. Unfortunately we have very limited space due to drainage running through our back yard and the HOA will not allow hot tubs (greenbelt view). The specific pool we are looking at, the Latham "Milan," is 10' x 16' x 4'.

We are working with the PB to essentially turn this into a monster hot tub with 10 total returns and a large-ish 2HP variable speed pump, and would like to use the pool year-round.

Heating/Cooling
The goal is to be able to heat into the 90's throughout our Central Texas winter, while also being able to keep the small pool reasonably cool during our very hot summers. I assume a pool this small will heat up quite quickly!
The PB says a 140k heat/cool pump should have no issues keeping a pool this small (covered, of course) heated throughout our Central Texas winter. The hunt is on to find a good quality insulated cover.

So I ask, TFP
  • Is this a realistic option? Or would you consider other avenues?
  • Are there specific models of Heat/Cool pumps we should be looking at (there seem to only be a few out there)?
  • Any idea what a realistic minimum ambient temperature could be to keep the pool heated? I understand most heat pumps cannot operate below ~45 or so.
  • If freezing is anticipated (happens a few times per year), are there any immediate precautions we should take?

To clarify our most pressing questions:
How effective would a Heat/Cool pump (of 120k - 140k BTU) be at heating a small pool during a Texas Winter (lows in the 40's typically)
Are there any heat pumps TFP would recommend for year-round utility? The Icebreaker line seems to heavily promote their hot gas defrost and ability to work at very cool temps.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.