Twin Cities MN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The pool was great until a few days ago when we started noticing a slight haze. Here are today's test results:
FC: 3.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.4
TA: 225
CYA: 70
CH: 300

I'm tempted just to slam it. I did this a few weeks ago and used Clorox bleach from Costco. I can't tell if that has polymers (which can cause haziness?) in it or not. It is 7.5% sodium hypochlorite.

What's odd to me is that the pH has stayed right at 7.4 for the last few days. Usually this climbs steadily when the SWCG is in use. Any thoughts as to what might be causing the haziness?
Note, too, that the FC has stayed about the same overnight. 2.8 to 3.0 (I was running the pump on lowest speed to keep the SWCG going and had the SWCG set at 60%).

Clorox bleach has Cloromax. It is a polymer additive that is not proper for use in pools, as per Clorox.

Your statement that the FC stayed 2.8 to 3.0 ppm over night with the SWCG running means you have an issue. Also, your FC is below the target range for your CYA.

That Chlorox bleach probably did have polymers in it. But if you used it a few weeks ago, the effects of its use is probably gone. You may want to look for another source of liquid chlorine. HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc all have liquid chlorine.

As for you FC loss at night, you need to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - and that means the SWG needs to be off to accurately measure the overnight loss. Follow the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test directions.

As to whether you will need to SLAM Process or not, that depends a lot on the results of the OCLT. Or, since the water is hazy, you could just start your SLAM Process now. I see your PoolMath logs indicate your FC has fallen below the minimum for your CYA level a few times. I think I would just start the SLAM Process now if it was my pool.

A SWCG does not cause your pH to rise. Aeration is the primary factor in rising pH. Wind, swimming, returns rippling the surface of the water, etc. A stable pH means your fill water (might be rain) is slightly acidic. Or you are adding chemicals that are acidic.

When using the pool math app, I don't see this option, I believe, for adding chlorine. This is something my pool builder left a few years ago. It's called Pool Logic. It's described as "Quick dissolving stabilized chlorinating granules." And 99% Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrionne dihydrate. It also says available chlorine 56%. Is this something I should use or stay away from?

That is Dichlor. You can select that in Poolmath. It will add essentially equal amounts of chlorine and CYA to your water. You do NOT need more CYA. So no, it should not be used at this time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.