Haze in Water

Mar 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Water is "clear" but there is a slight haze in the water-more noticeable at night with the pool light on. We keep the pool open during the winter (adding heater in a few months). Pump runs about 6 hours/day. Haven't looked at the chemicals for about a month but gegerally on line except CYA is "20ish". It was over 100 last summer and drained the pool to get it down to 40-50. So need to get that up a little. Have always used liquid bleach daily for chlorine levels. Any thoughts? Should I add some flocculation chemical?
Thanks.

CL: 3
CC 0
pH: 7.7
CA: 275
Alk: 70
CYA: 20
TF-100 test kit

10,000 gal, pebble finish, Hayward quad filter, Pentair Kreepy Krauly Legend side pressure cleaner.

TFPC does not recommend the use of floc, ever.

Double check your pH. An elevated pH can make the water appear dull.

Could you fill in a few gaps? You say you reduced your CYA to 40 or 50 last summer? But now it's 20? And you say you've ignored chemicals for a month? Do you mean you've neither tested or added chemicals for a month?

If your CYA is 40 to 50, then your FC should be somewhere north of 5, not three. And hazy water? What is the water temp? You might have some algae if the water is warm enough. You could always do an OCLT to rule that out.

I am south of you but have noticed a lot of pollen on water. I put some socks on my skimmer baskets to help pick up the floating stuff. It started about a week ago. I also net some out with a smaller fine mesh. Seemed to clear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.