Hayword vs Pentair for full system (Pump/filter+SWG auto)

A.Graham

Mar 16, 2020
North GA - Dalton
Hello all, I was suggested to join up as we are about to build an in-ground vinyl liner pool. So far the forums have been great insight to a first time owner. We already have a great builder but I'm doing my homework on systems prior to choosing one and breaking ground (I'll post pics on the other forum when starting).

We are targeting to have a SWG, VSP pump and cartridge filter (over sized filter is the goal based on some threads I've read).

My question is which brand should we go with and is it wise to mix it up? For example Hayword filter but Pentair pump? I would think every thing would work "better" if all from the same company. I'm asking also as I'd like to purchase all of this equipment separate from my builder just so I know I'm not getting marked up and I get exactly what I want (no one to blame but myself!)

I welcome any thoughts and I'll keep reading on the forums to soak up the knowledge!

A,

You might want to get the pool builder to agree to that.. Do you expect him to install it and do any warranty work for free? Most equipment manufacturers only warranty their products when installed by a "qualified" installer. In some cases, they have products that are not sold on the internet.

Mark ups are how pool builders stay in business, just like every other business in the world.. :mrgreen:

I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy, so you know what brand that I would recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP.

Are you going to have an automation panel now or in the future? If so the VS pump and SWG should be from the same manufacturer as the automation panel.

Filters are a commodity and can be from any manufacturer you like.

I prefer Pentair equipment and automation over Hayward.

As Jim points out, check on the warranty you will get depending on how the equipment is purchased and who installs it. Pentair gives an extended 3 year warranty when multiple pieces of equipment are purchased at the same time and professionally installed.

Welcome to TFP.

Are you going to have an automation panel now or in the future? If so the VS pump and SWG should be from the same manufacturer as the automation panel.

Filters are a commodity and can be from any manufacturer you like.

I prefer Pentair equipment and automation over Hayward.

As Jim points out, check on the warranty you will get depending on how the equipment is purchased and who installs it. Pentair gives an extended 3 year warranty when multiple pieces of equipment are purchased at the same time and professionally installed.

Thank you both. I didn't think of the warranty bit so I'll check with the builder (they'll do the install). I know they list Hayward on their site as far as equipment. I would like an automation set up eventually but don't really see the need at the beginning to spend the extra $1.5K.

With an approximate 24K gallon pool, I'm thinking a >400sqft filter is ideal.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we go with a larger salt cell as well? I see Pentair has the IntelliChlor IC60 60K gal and Hayward's biggest is the AquaRite 40K gal. I do like the Hayward's salt cell power center better (more info relayed) vs the Pentair with just a couple buttons. Is the 40K one enough?

A,

We always recommend a salt system that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. I have a 17K pool and an IC40 cell. This is because cells are rated when running 24/7 at 100% output..

A 40K cell will work, but you will have to run it a long time and near 100% to generate the amount of chlorine your pool will need.

Filter size has little to do with pool size.. In general, the larger the filter, the less often you will need to clean it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The aquaplus t15 bundle is the best bang for the buck out there. They can be found for a little over a grand. You can pair that with a tristar VS or if you can find the new style ecostar 2019 build dates and newer. The filter doeant matter but the swim clears are great bigger is better 400 even 500sqft for your sized pool

I just re-did the math on my pool cubic feet and it is actually around 17k-18k gallons (double checked with builder and online at similar depth pools) so I feel better about the 400 sqft cartridge and 40K SWG cell. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll keep fishing online for more info. Once we get started I'll update my signature and post pics.

My question is which brand should we go with and is it wise to mix it up? For example Hayword filter but Pentair pump? I would think every thing would work "better" if all from the same company. I'm asking also as I'd like to purchase all of this equipment separate from my builder just so I know I'm not getting marked up and I get exactly what I want (no one to blame but myself!)

I welcome any thoughts and I'll keep reading on the forums to soak up the knowledge!

Using same brand has advantages if you ever install automation. There are features that you can't implement as easy such as light colors, pump speeds etc. There are work arounds such as you have to manually set % power on the SWG at the unit and use run-time to tweak FC level.

Are you planning to repair DIY or always call your pool service? Reason I ask is most major pool equipment manufacturers limit or eliminate warranty for DIY. For example Pentair, Hayward place some limits. Jandy cuts all warranties to zero for DIY installation and any parts purchased on the internet. In general most 3rd party equipment provide full warranty.

I'm an avid DIY type so for me I like the hybrid installation. Mostly one brand and for that I'd choose Pentair similar to Jim but for the chlorinator I like the 7 year warranty on my Circupool RJ plus model. I do give up full control but find I rarely have to change % power to maintain FC level. I'm not over-concerned that warranty limitation do impact me for some equipment. Most electronics fail early if they're going to fail. But certain for certain items I want full warranty because of common failures that occur 6 months to couple of years. These include swg salt cells and LED lights.

If you plan to defer some of the high cost "would likes" later there are certain things you should do now that are very low cost. For example make your sub panel 60 amp instead of 40. It gives you more flexibility in the future and does not cost that much to upgrade. Likewise, make sure your pool equipment pad is large enough to add a heater etc.

What's right for you depends on your personal preferences. If you don't ever plan to DIY then what's best for you is very likely one same brand for everything and for that I'd go with Pentair. I think they definitely have the best VS pump and automation system (Intellicenter).

I hope this helps.

Chris

A.

PS Welcome to TFP. I didn't join for several years after my pool was built and I paid a steep price for not having access to all the excellent and most importantly, non-conflicted advice.

You're way ahead of where I was! Enjoy your pool construction and do keep us posted.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.