Hayward's New AquaVac 650 - Filterless Robotic Cleaner

May 9, 2013
Winnipeg/Manitoba
I know this is brand new tech and is due to hit the market June 2019, but has anyone here seen any demos or have any information about this new age of Robotic Pool cleaner. Since Hayward does such a poor job with marketing and communication it's hard to find any decent info outside of the product spec sheets which are very limited. I found one promo video but I it is a VR rendering and doesn't actually show the Robot in real life use.

I think MSRP is around $1850 CDN but not sure.

Share if you have any info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dallasaggie

It does not look filterless to me... :scratch:

I like the number of brushes, but doubt the "cyclone" makes much of a difference in real operation. That part seems like a marketing scheme to me.

Also seems way too expensive, even in funny money.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hayward bought Tiger Shark years ago, since then they have struggled to build their own. For that price, runaway, get a dolphin. Maytronics is one of, if not the best.

Ok, I just researched it and OMG, Dyson meets Robotic pool cleaner, wow!!!

BTW, your price of $1,850 is darn good!

Last edited:
It also seems that the same design and engineering company that made the 650 for Hayward also did the AquaVac 500 which is already on sale. Just gives you an idea of what type of product they put out. I don't know anything about the 500 but I would certainly do some research and see what people have liked or disliked about that model as it may give you some insight into this company's strengths and weaknesses when it comes to building and designing this type of product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But it has 18 hydrocyclones!!!!!

I don’t know how many my Maytronics has, but it is probably less.

Seriously though the quick release cleaning feature sounds pretty cool.

Well it is nice to see that other manufacturers are starting to build better more competitive products. I think that will force Maytronics and others to innovate and produce better products. For years the products stagnated. My M500 is virtually identical to the old M5 I had over 5 years ago.

Does anyone have any updates on this.

My Zodiac Vortex 3 stopped working and I am looking good for a replacement.

The Aquavac 650 phone app and Dyson technology is what makes this appealing bit is it worth the extra money?

I don't see a swivel on the cable, something I really want as without itmy old Zodiac would become a mess in a matter of minutes.

How well will the Aquavac 650 pick up large sticks and fine dirt particles?

Has anyone seen one in action yet?

I finally got my hands on one and wrote a review containing a few videos.

Reactions: justinc
Do not waste your time with the Hayward Aquavac 650. I bought one at $1,900. Firstly, despite the marketing, with no filter the unit does not capture any fine dirt. The internal screening is too wide to capture dirt. The unit just blows the dirt back into the pool and within an hour the pool is dirty again. Second, the unit does not work as advertised. It is supposed to have a tug system that when you tug twice after the unit is dormant, it is supposed to return to the surface. The tug system does not work and after calling Hayward, they acknowledged that they knew about this but did not know when a solution fix (apparantly software) would be available. Basically Hayward released the product for sale knowing of the issue, with no resolution, and no warning to the distributors selling the pool vac. Thirdly, the instruction guide is useless and the AP is awkward which did not have connectivity through my home WIFI. Further, the software control does not even include a timer to understand how long a clean will take. The base that holds the unit is cheaply constructed. The instructions also caution against use of pool chemicals when using and not to use the unit when the pool is very dirty such as during pool openings. What is the point of a pool cleaner that does not clean the pool? I returned the unit and went back to the latest WIFI Polaris 9650IQ which is easy to use, has a proper large filter, connects to the internet, and has user friendly AP. AVOID HAYWARD!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: DjEclipse
Do not waste your time with the Hayward Aquavac 650. I bought one at $1,900. Firstly, despite the marketing, with no filter the unit does not capture any fine dirt. The internal screening is too wide to capture dirt. The unit just blows the dirt back into the pool and within an hour the pool is dirty again. Second, the unit does not work as advertised. It is supposed to have a tug system that when you tug twice after the unit is dormant, it is supposed to return to the surface. The tug system does not work and after calling Hayward, they acknowledged that they knew about this but did not know when a solution fix (apparantly software) would be available. Basically Hayward released the product for sale knowing of the issue, with no resolution, and no warning to the distributors selling the pool vac. Thirdly, the instruction guide is useless and the AP is awkward. I strongly recommend all avoid the Aquavac 650. I lost all respect for Hayward on how they released this product without proper testing and without warning of issues.

Reactions: 737Ag
I did a review here when it first came out.

I found the same issues and contacted Hayward regarding everything you mentioned and more.

They said it may be able to pick up the finer dirt and keep it if they ramp up the cyclone velocity but this would take a lot of time to work on and release.

The App I did find to actually work well ( unless you have an android which is a other known issue as it is not compatible with anything other than the latest version of Android). Very easy to use and intuitive, manual driving is instant and responsive.

I don't know what they used as a test pool but it is sad it doesn't actually clean the pool as the one touch canister empty/ clean is so nice to use.

I returned the 650 and bought the Dolphin M600. It has its issues as well, mostly app related but it did a great job cleaning the pool, collected all the fine dirt the 650 couldn't collect.

It's the same price as the 650 and worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.