almangar

May 28, 2023
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
1st post and hoping someone has experienced this and can help. I went to check on my pump this morning and it was dead, nothing on the screen and no lights. Turned off the power and the breaker and went to remove the control panel and water just poured out when I loosened the screws holding in place. The board is shot, pics attached and also the 6 pin connector coming from the motor that attaches to the display connector on the motherboard looks corroded as well. I found a new display unit.

Here's my main question. Has anyone ever cut and rewired that cable that comes from the pump motor? Ideally I would take a pic of the wire color order and cut off the end and rewire those cables to a new connector, just not sure which connector I need. I found a JST-XH connector that looks similar, but not sure if that's the right one.

I've attached some photos for reference. Your help is appreciated!
screenshot_20230528_182643_chrome-jpg.497424
Screenshot_20230528_183746_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230528_183756_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_182643_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_182643_Chrome.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 58
I have not done this but that does not look like the jst xh connector to me, if it is though I have purchased and used this kit from amazon with success
Zhushan SN-02BM Wire Crimp Tool Kit AWG 28-20 (0.08-0.5mm²) Wire Crimper with1550 PCS 2.54mm Dupont Connectors and 460 PCS 2.54mm JST-XH Connectors https://a.co/d/bjkhntN

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'll reach out to @1poolman1 to see if he has done any repair like this in the field. He might know which model pump you have by the pics, but to be safe, can you confirm?
Appears to be a Hayward Eco/Tri Star, maybe newer Max-Flo VS, just from the back of the panel. If it was mine I might attempt a repair, but it is very unlikely that circuit board is salvageable, especially if it was powered when it got wet.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Appears to be a Hayward Eco/Tri Star, maybe newer Max-Flo VS, just from the back of the panel. If it was mine I might attempt a repair, but it is very unlikely that circuit board is salvageable, especially if it was powered when it got wet.
You are correct, it is a Tristar. I have a lead on a new control panel and board, so I won't be trying to salvage the original board. My concern is the connector from the motor to the control board. Trying to find the correct connector to use so I can cut the old connector off and rewire. The orange/red connector in the picture that connects to the white display connector on the motherboard.

Also, any idea how that much water might've gotten under there? I don't think it would come from underneath the rubber seal that covers the motor. Wondering if the people who came to replace the controller that I had replaced under warranty didn't fully seat the controller correctly when they installed. It's been a few years, but we had those torrential rains in California last month that we haven't seen in at least 20 years.

I have not done this but that does not look like the jst xh connector to me, if it is though I have purchased and used this kit from amazon with success
Zhushan SN-02BM Wire Crimp Tool Kit AWG 28-20 (0.08-0.5mm²) Wire Crimper with1550 PCS 2.54mm Dupont Connectors and 460 PCS 2.54mm JST-XH Connectors https://a.co/d/bjkhntN
Haha, thanks for the link, I actually already had it in my cart

Just wanted to follow up and see if you had any idea on what type of connector comes from the motor to the display port on the motherboard? Specifically the reddish one from my picture on the solo cable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rsz_20200507_084413-jpg.137383

20190519_125838-jpg.102503

Looks like the problem is more that just the control panel, after taking apart the drive controller I noticed there was water in there as well. Apparently when the water got under the control panel it seeped into the drive controller as well. I'm not an engineer, but why in the world would they have 4 pretapped screw holes that lead lead into the drive controller when the control panel only uses 2? Seems like a complete fail to allow water into electrical components. I did manage to find a power end of a 2.7hp Tristar vs 950 near me. My original was a 2.7hp Ecostar. This should fit my ecostar sp3400vsp housing, correct?

Last edited:
Do you have hayward automation? If not, might be more economical to just swap for for one of the calimar vsp pumps

Do you have hayward automation? If not, might be more economical to just swap for for one of the calimar vsp pumps
I had seen these when I was looking before, they've been reliable? The 1 year warranty seems a bit short, but I guess I could get the 3 year extend, but I'm always a little wary about those. I will have to make a decision though shortly as I need to get my pump back up and running.

they've been reliable?
I don't have one but there are quite few reviews that praise them, especially at the cost.
They are purported to be the same pump as the black and decker/circupool and a few others but at half the cost or less
I don't think you can get a replacement drive for anywhere near the cost. Downside is you may need to do some plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.