Hayward Turbocell T-9 SWG with a new Intelflow Pentair Pump

Hmole2020

Jun 20, 2021
Jamestown, NY
My pool guy doesn't seem to be helpful and can't seem to find the answer on the internet anywhere. I have used a Pro Logic Control panel with a Hayard Turbo Cell t-9 for the last 8 years. It was easy to control the chlorine levels as the timer was set up on the Pro Logic control panel and the SWG would make chlorine for whatever % of the time I set it for when the pump was running. The new Intelflow Pentair has it's own program. My pool guy told me to turn off all timers on the Pro Logic control panel and set the Intelflow Pentair pump to run a t 35 GPM for 18 hours!. My pool is 12,000 galloons and doing the math, it turns over the pool water over 3x. The question is, if I have the SWG set at 50%, does it make chlorine for 9 hours ( 1/2 of 18), or does it make chlorine for ALL 18 as there is no timer set on the Pro Logic control panel. I have checked the chlorine levels and they are high.
Questions:
1. How long should I run the pump?
2. What flow is ideal for the Hayward Turbo SWG?
3. What dictates the % chlorine being made since the timer is off the Pro Logic Control Panel?
Thanks in advance for any and all help. I can provide more information if needed.

H,

Your pool guy is an idiot...

Some Hayward automation systems can control IntelliFlo pumps, so you should look into that and see if it is possible.

Turnovers are a myth. You can run the pump however long you want, but don't include turnovers as a reason.

At 50% the cell is only making chlorine about half the time.

The easiest thing to do is run the pump 24/7 at a low RPM and turn your automation for the SWCG back on.

No magic number in a manual will tell you what flow rate you need for your pool.. You just need to experiment and see what works best for you. I suggest that you lower the RPM until the flow light for your SWCG turns red or indicates that the flow is too low. Then slowly increase the RPM until the flow light turns on. Add about 150 RPM, just to make sure and that is the lowest speed you will every want you pump to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

H,

Your pool guy is an idiot...

Some Hayward automation systems can control IntelliFlo pumps, so you should look into that and see if it is possible.

Turnovers are a myth. You can run the pump however long you want, but don't include turnovers as a reason.

At 50% the cell is only making chlorine about half the time.

The easiest thing to do is run the pump 24/7 at a low RPM and turn your automation for the SWCG back on.

No magic number in a manual will tell you what flow rate you need for your pool.. You just need to experiment and see what works best for you. I suggest that you lower the RPM until the flow light for your SWCG turns red or indicates that the flow is too low. Then slowly increase the RPM until the flow light turns on. Add about 150 RPM, just to make sure and that is the lowest speed you will every want you pump to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. Before I had the Intelflow, my timer was from 8:00am to 5:00pm. At 50% it made chlorine for 1/2 that time (4.5 hours). My pool chlorine levels were always fine. Grant it, the pump was running full steam all the time and not variable. If I ran it 24/7 at low RPM, doesn't that mean the chlorine will be made for 12 hours? (1/2 24). I've also read that the SWG is not efficient at producing chlorine at low flow rates. I'm going to try 40GPM x 12 hours. That should make chlorine 6 hours and turn over the pool 2.4 times. Thanks again for the reply.

I've also read that the SWG is not efficient at producing chlorine at low flow rates.
As long as the flow rate is high enough to close the flow switch, the SWCG generates the same amount of chlorine at all pump flow rates.

Reactions: Hmole2020
H,

You do know that the idea that you have to "turnover" your pool water x times a day is just a myth... ?

There are a number of reasons to run your pump, but turnovers is not one of them.

You control the output of the SWCG by adjust the output %, or by adjusting the run time, or a combination of the two of them..

I run my IntelliFlo at 1200 RPM.. at that speed my SWCG makes chlorine and my skimmers work fine. I don't have a heater, if I did I'd have to run at 1600 or so.

I've also read that the SWG is not efficient at producing chlorine at low flow rates

Just not true.. You need to find a better library.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Hmole2020
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.