Hayward Tristar vs Pentair Intelliflow

giajenx

May 7, 2021
Texas
Hello Pool Geniuses!
Our six year old Jacuzzi JVX300 pool pump died this weekend. We bought it from Leslie's and they only offer a five-year warranty. The pump was heck to program (something about being manufactured in Australia?) and I had to get a magnifying glass to see the pool speeds on the display. In other words, I'd never buy another one. I asked my pool guy if it would be possible just to replace the motor and he said he'd need to take it apart to make sure there's no other damage on the "wet" side of the pump. I have two questions:

1. Here is a video of what it sounds like. Would you recommend even trying to replace the motor or am I just putting money into a sinking ship? https://youtube.com/shorts/AGXGAQ8beJg?feature=share

2. If I do replace it, does anyone have opinions about whether the Hayward Tristar or the Pentair Intelliflow is a better product (and perhaps more user friendly?) I've gotten bids on both and they're within $100 of each other.

We have an in-ground pool and connected spa, probably no more than 10k gallons.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Both of those are good pumps. I have found that the Haywards are a little more "user friendly" for the customer to program, etc. But, once you do set programs they are seldom changed.

That Jacuzzi was/is a beast to program.

That sound is the bearings that were likely damaged by a leaking seal.

Interestingly, the motor on your pump is still available. Motor only, no control or fan cover. Yours would be re-used. You would need to replace the seal at the very least. It should be a PS-200.

There is a kit available from Leslie's that has all the items needed to completely rebuild your pump after you get a new motor:

Both of those are good pumps. I have found that the Haywards are a little more "user friendly" for the customer to program, etc. But, once you do set programs they are seldom changed.

Interestingly, the motor on your pump is still available. Motor only, no control or fan cover. Yours would be re-used. You would need to replace the seal at the very least. It should be a PS-200.

There is a kit available from Leslie's that has all the items needed to completely rebuild your pump after you get a new motor:
Thank you so much!

@1poolman1 -- one other question: my pool/spa (which are both in-ground and connected to the same pump/filtration system) is probably at most 10k gallons. Is a 3HP pump overkill for that? We bought the Jacuzzi at Leslie's when we were new pool owners and that was just what they recommended. Our pool guy said he thought a 2 HP would be sufficient. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
3hp is not overkill.
You can run a 3hp pump at a lower RPM and move the same amount of water - and save electricity in the process.

Thanks @proavia Now my guy is saying that his supplier is giving a special deal on something called a smart pipeline pump. When I google it all I can find is a brand called AquaStar. Anyone ever heard of that brand?
AquaStar has been around for quite a while. They make an interesting filter. Their VSP looks good but hasn't been out that long. If you go that route, or with any VSP, get the largest HP rated one and turn the speed down for the best energy savings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.