Hayward TriStar 2.7HP VS Pump Error

frankofiore

Jun 1, 2020
Mundelein, IL
Hi everyone,

Big fan of the site and have learned a lot. First time posting. Bought a house last year that has an 18k inground pool. Last July, the old pump died and I replaced it with a Hayward Tristar 2.7HP variable speed pump (SP3206VSPVR). Everything worked great the rest of the 2019 pool season and the start of this one.

Was outside yesterday with the family enjoying the nice weather here in Chicago. Noticed that the pump was not working. I went over to check on it and there was an error message reading "Drive Error Heatsink overheated". I read through Hayward's guide and made sure there was not any debris around the pump or on the heatsink. Nothing was obstructing the motor airflow. I turned the breaker off for 30 minutes, then back on...still have the same error message. Checked it again this morning, still same message.

Their guide says that if error still occurs, replace drive. Anyone else have this happen? Does replacing the drive solve the issue?

I find it a little odd and disheartening that this drive hasn't even made it 1 year. I tried contacting Hayward, but have not heard back from them yet. Hopefully this is covered under their warranty.

Hayward responded back saying I need to contact a local certified repair company to come look at it. I did that but they are 3 weeks to a month out on any repair work. So that was not a viable solution. I ended up purchasing the motor drive and installed it myself. Works great. Now I just need Hayward to stand behind their product and reimburse me for the cost of the motor drive. heck, I saved them money since they did not have to pay labor rates to a repair company to come out and fix it. We shall see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.