Hayward T-Cell-15

It really shouldn't be all that difficult for Hayward to explain it's warranty. Obviously some of the online resellers are contributing to the confusion because they just assume that the warranty is still three years and will say anything to make the sale. Those resellers push the warranty off onto Hayward and wash their hands of the transaction. Doubt that any of the resellers are on the hook for the misstatement. But I have a feeling many customers who bought Hayward cells that were advertised as three years warranty are going to be ****** off when they find out it's only a year and Hayward claims "it's not their fault".

We have a hard enough time explaining our simple warranty. We have multiple eBay warranty options and one website warranty option all with different price points. The cell is the same. We have just left it up to the customer as to which price point and warranty they feel most comfortable with.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't be all that difficult for Hayward to explain it's warranty. Obviously some of the online resellers are contributing to the confusion because they just assume that the warranty is still three years and will say anything to make the sale. Those resellers push the warranty off onto Hayward and wash their hands of the transaction. Doubt that any of the resellers are on the hook for the misstatement. But I have a feeling many customers who bought Hayward cells that were advertised as three years warranty are going to be ****** off when they find out it's only a year and Hayward claims "it's not their fault".

We have a hard enough time explaining our simple pro-rated warranty. For us it's easier to say that if the cell fails after year one and before year two, replacement cost to the buyer is 50% of original cost. However, one of our competitors has a sliding scale pro-rated warranty where in the second year the replacement cost goes up 5% every month that the cell makes it thru. For example : Month 13-18 it would cost 50% of original price if cell failed, Month 19 would be 60%, Month 20 would be 70%, Month 21 would be 75%, 22 =80%, 23=90%. Innovative or a marketing gimmick, I still haven't decided. Given that their cell is only rated for 3000 hours you can decide for yourself.

PM sent. 🙂

I'm still dialing in my SWCG, but it looks like I'm running 25% (summer) with pump running 24 hours. Cell is "rated" for 580 lbs and 1.47 lbs/day @100%. I'm hoping to get about 5 years. I expect, as with most warranty failures, they occur in the first year. I'm not that concerned. When I was a warranty manager for GE on $100M gas turbines, 99.9% of the warranty issues occured in the first year, and most in the first month, or during testing/install.

Didn’t feel comfortable keeping the Amazon t-15 so I returned it even though they offered a 10% discount to keep it. I don’t want to deal with the warranty issue if it dies in a year. Local stores sell them for $599 but I decided to buy the extended version tcell940 for $695 and with the $80 rebate its basically the same price. I can bring to the store to test if I have issue and get replacement as needed. At least that’s what they told me but will see.

Interesting that the owner told me the T-15 only has 1 yr warranty which conflicts with what Hayward said (3 yrs if buy from the stores, 1 yr if buy online).

Last edited:
My local store sells the 4 year warranty cell for $689. I can get the same cell on Amazon with 1 yr for $489. You are betting $200 that your cell will last less than 4 years. And even then, I expect the 4 yr warranty is prorated. If I get 3 years out of the Amazon cell, I win.

My local store sells the 4 year warranty cell for $689. I can get the same cell on Amazon with 1 yr for $489. You are betting $200 that your cell will last less than 4 years. And even then, I expect the 4 yr warranty is prorated. If I get 3 years out of the Amazon cell, I win.
You can get the tcell940 (4 yrs warranty) from Amazon for $489? Link? I bought the 940 mainly because it makes more chlorine over its life time compared to the t-15, so it should last longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every cell will behave differently in different environments.. I started with a Hayward back when there weren't too many choices.. its worked well.. i now know i can get more than 6 years or more from each replacement cell, so I don't worry to much about the warranty. If it makes through thr first year .. ill likely get another 5 or more out it.

Warranty for salt systems is a little complicated because there are two different components that have much different failure mechanisms. The control unit is basically electronics and if it lasts a couple weeks it will very likely last many years. The cell is different. It depends on a chemical manufacturing process to coat the zinc anodes with a very thin, uniform layer of catalyst. The catalyst layer is made of a mixture of very expensive chemicals so they make it as thin as possible. I suspect the surface prep of the anodes, mix of catalyst, and quality control in the manufacturing all contribute to a fairly high percentage of cell failures after the first year. If the cell fails you're in for a very expensive replacement out of warranty. In my opinion warranty is more important for these units than for electronics because of this. Still odds of failure are low but way more likely than just the electronics.

Chris

Reactions: Saturn94
Didn’t feel comfortable keeping the Amazon t-15 so I returned it even though they offered a 10% discount to keep it.

Who exactly offered you a 10% discount to keep the cell? Amazon or the seller who sold on Amazon? In my experience, Amazon is not in the habit of offering up 10% discounts to keep products. As I have explained before, third party sellers would do anything to keep the sale because they can pawn the warranty off on Hayward.

That was Amazon who is also the seller. I changed my mind and returned before seeing the discount in my account. They said it would take 3-5 days. On their website, the T15 and the W3T have different ASIN numbers and the T-15 wasn’t available to buy from the same seller (Amazon). I dont Think Amazon know what they are getting from the suppliers. I don’t even know if it’s normal to have the box labeled as W3T but the actual unit is T-15. I emailed Hayward and all they said was if I buy online I only get 1 yr. not directly to my question as if it’s normal for a T-15 to be in a W3T box. It was cheap but it’s still close to $500 and I didn’t feel good about the purchase.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.