hayward super pump c48k2n143b1 dead after brown out

Mj1804

Jun 18, 2018
Brewster/NY
We had a brown out on Wednesday and the pump hasn’t turned on since. I replaced the 20 amp breaker in the outdoor box because the current one wasn’t tripping to neutral/tripped when I would hit the test button, but seems to have still been cutting power... might be the issue.

No luck. New breaker trips when I turn on the pump and I hear nothing, it just trips immediately.

I purchased this home a few years ago and have properly winterized the pump, but that’s about it for care. It showed no signs of having issues before the brown out and I’d hate to have to buy a new one given the cos of a super pump.

Help!?!?108748

Let's ask @JamesW to provide you some thoughts before you jump to replacement.

Be sure to keep adding your daily liquid chlorine to the pool and mix it in with your brush, robot, etc.

Hah! He jumped in before I pinged him! Thanks JamesW!

When you remove the back cover to get to the capacitor, you will see the power wires on the terminals. Take one off and then check the voltage line to line. Don't do anything that you don't feel comfortable doing.

Turn off power, remove one wire from the pump terminal, turn on power and then test the voltage. Make sure that the loose wire is not touching anything.

Don't do this if you don't feel comfortable dealing with electricity.

Turn off power, remove one wire from the pump terminal, turn on power and then test the voltage. Make sure that the loose wire is not touching anything.

Don't do this if you don't feel comfortable dealing with electricity.

Found AN issue that’s a completely fried wire.

Pic 3-5...

No clue what kind of havoc this wreaked on the innards

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The motor looks like it gets excessive corrosion. Does it get wet or do you store chemicals nearby?

I suspect that the connection was corroded, which increases the resistance.

That, coupled with the incorrect voltage, probably caused the connection to overheat.

I suspect that the voltage might have been too high for a few minutes.

Hey James-

The motor gets a lot of rain from where the pad is placed, but no chemicals are stored near it.

I think you’re right about why the wiring went **** up.

I replaced the capacitor and reworded the plug. Cleaned the connections and she stayed up this morning no problem.

I’m in your debt, my friend. Whole issue cost me 56.78 and that’s because I chose to buy a new 42 dollar breaker and an extra capacitor. Now to keep this pump running for another 8 years....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.