Hayward Super 2 Pump drain plug size

It's 1/4" npt. Most drain plugs are 1/4" npt.

The newer drain plugs are designed with an O-ring.

The O-ring plug is preferable if the pump hole has a flat spot for the O-ring to mate with.

A 1/4" npt plug will work in any case.

1991 and earlier, it's the regular plug (SPX1600V).
1992 and later, it's the O-ring plug (SPX1700FG).

Last edited:
It's 1/4" npt. Most drain plugs are 1/4" npt.

The newer drain plugs are designed with an O-ring.

The O-ring plug is preferable if the pump hole has a flat spot for the O-ring to mate with.

A 1/4" npt plug will work in any case.

1991 and earlier, it's the regular plug (SPX1600V).
1992 and later, it's the O-ring plug (SPX1700FG).

I thought so too but it's definitely not 1/4 inch NPT. As you can see by the picture the OD of the plug is about 7/16. The OD of 1/4 pipe is just over a half inch? This pump is about 10 years old.IMG_2933.JPG

It's 1/4" npt. That's the name, not really the size. It's like a 2 x 4 is not really 2x4.

In any case, the part number is SPX1700FG.

Thank you, you're correct, it is 1/4 NPT but I'm actually not looking for the plug. I want to build an auto acid dosing system (similar to mas985) and want to use that port along with a needle valve to siphon a 5 to 1 acid mixture into the pool when the pump is running. I needed to know what threads those were so I can buy the correct hose barb adapter for those threads. With it being 1/4 npt that should be easy to find.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.