Hayward SP-580 fixture alternative

foltz61

Jul 9, 2022
Venice, FL
The bulb socket in my Hayward SP-580 12v rusted out. Even though there appear to be screws connecting it I've read you can't just replace the socket. If I'm wrong please let me know. That brings me to my main question. Is there a cheaper alternative to replacing the fixture than buying an OEM Hayward fixture? They seem to be scarce and expensive. If not, what are the compatible OEM part numbers? I assume my light niche is an SP-600. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230307_160741524.jpg
    PXL_20230307_160741524.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: foltz61
Thanks. I assume the number after 580 is the line length. What does the S signify in some of the model numbers ion the cross reference page? Since I don't see an S on my label I also assume that sn S model is not what I would need anyway.

Since I need to rerun a new cable I want to make sure I'm right the first time. Thanks again for any help.

Dunno about the meaning of the S.

Yes, the number is the length of the wire.

Maybe @1poolman1 knows more.

While the catalog may indicate that a complete light is available in several cord lengths, most retailers, and even wholesalers, are only carrying them with 50' and 100' cords. If you're not positive about the length, always get one with a longer cord, you can't add length if its too short. Some sites don't even charge more for the longer cords.
Pool lights are expensive and will probably get worse since the DOE regulations that came out on 3/1/2023:
  • Manufacturers can no longer sell non-compliant incandescent lights manufactured or imported on or after the effective date of January 1, 2023
  • Distributors & Retailers can no longer re-sell non-compliant incandescent lights without penalties effective March 1, 2023, and with reduced penalties until July 31, 2023
  • Similar to the DOE rule for variable-speed pool and spa pumps, this new regulation is performance-oriented. It applies to all lamps that emit between 310 and 3,300 lumens. If a light falls under that category, it must emit at least 45 lumens per watt.
Standard incandescent lights can't meet that standard. A 300w, 12v incandescent bulb is only about 3000 -3300 lumens. It takes LED light to meet the standard. Not sure how that is going to affect online or brick-and-mortar stores. The regulation doesn't seem to allow for existing stock to be sold the way non-compliant pumps and motors can be.

Since the AstroLight would fit an Amerilite niche, the opposite is true as well. Many years ago the Amerilite and niche became the "standard" as there are so many in place. Any light manufacturer that wanted to sell a replacement light had to make them fit the American (bought by Pac Fab bought by Pentair) niche.

I purchased this light. I also purchased some marine grade heat shrink tubing which I'm going to go way overboard with. My light was 12v so hopefully my chances of getting shocked badly are low lol. I'll update on how it goes.

Eapmic 12V 45W Pool Light Underwater Color-Change LED Lights RGB IP68 with Remote (45W ABS+Stainless Steel) https://a.co/d/anmjpMi

Anyone happen to have a diagram of the sp-580? Specifically I need the distance between the screw holes so I can make a bracket/adapter. I'm legally blind so it's hard for me to try to measure it. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.