Hayward pump won't turn on

File the warranty claim anyway. You should get 3 years with a pool build and all Hayward equipment.

If Hayward does not cover it, file a claim with the motor manufacturer.

Do you have a picture of the motor label?

I talked to Hayward and they said my warranty was only 1 year. I don't know how to file a claim if they won't let me.

Edit: I did some more digging. Apparently their variable speed pumps have 3 year warranties. Single speed are 1 year.

Last edited:
I don't see a way to do that on their website. I can register a product but not file a claim. Unless they're just burying it to make it intentionally difficult.

I called them and asked. They said I can't file a claim because it's out of warranty. I also called a local dealer and they confirmed.

Two years for a Hayward Pump/Century motor is terrible. They should do something for you. If not, I wouldn’t use their motor as a replacement. Maybe go with a different manufacturer for the motor.

Maybe go with a SuperFlo or Intelliflo.

Escalate the warranty claim to someone other than a telephone person whose job it is to brush you off.

Is your product registered?

If yes, go to your account and find the warranty claim link or ask them how to file the claim. Don't ask them if you can, ask them how to do it.

Last edited:
I bought the pump in December 2017. It wasn't installed until March, but I don't have any documentation to back that up. So in their eyes it's basically 3 years old, or close to it. It's actually closer to 2.5 years old.

I don't want this awful pump anyway. I'd love to save some money, but I have no use for a POS single speed pump. I was hoping they'd give me a deal on the VS, but that doesn't seem like it's in the cards.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hadn't thought about replacing just the motor. The rest of it is fine, so that seems like a decent option. I would be concerned about warranty if I did the work myself, though. Hayward seems to be a stickler about equipment being installed by a pro.

There are other motors than Hayward that will work. You need to be sure they match your pump flange and that your impeller is correct for the hp. InyoPools has a number of VS motors that will work.

I see you have an automation system. To get the most versatility with that, you should consider a VS pump like James stated.

Austin Energy offers a $300 rebate per unit to customers who install qualified variable-speed pool pumps.

Prerequisites: You must receive electricity from Austin Energy.

You must purchase a new qualifying ENERGY STAR variable speed pool pump

You must use an Austin Energy participating contractor to install the variable speed pool pump.

Your participating contractor must submit your application within 90 days of installation. Applications submitted beyond this time frame will not be approved.

Participating contractors must comply with all program requirements and conduct business in an honest, professional, and ethical manner. All participating contractors must abide by the Austin Energy Code of Conduct and Ethical Requirements.

All installations must reduce peak demand for electricity.

All work must meet manufacturers’ standards and local, state, and national codes.

The new pool pump must replace an existing pump or be installed in a new, in-ground pool.

The new pool pump must be installed at your address.

Exclusions: New in-ground pools and existing pools with solar heating are not eligible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.