Hayward Pool Pump/Filter doesn't want to prime, help needed ASAP

LOU4x4

May 9, 2017
Nazareth, PA
I'm a new home owner and the house I just purchased has a pool. The pump and the filter was working fine last week but now it doesn't want to prime. It had a water leak at the discharge side which I fixed. However when I turn the pump off and open the air valve on the filter, the pump basket fills up with water. When I turn the pump back on, the basket runs dry. Any input on this will be appreciated, thanks.

Welcome to TFP. First things first, how about a description of your pool and its filtration equipment, i.e., make, model and size. Also pictures of your pool equipment will greatly help us determine what may be the problem.

Lou,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new to you pool owners... :snorkle:

Why are you opening the filter air valve when you turn the pump off?? There is no reason to do that and it actually breaks the vacuum in the system allowing everything to drain back into pool.

Not all, but "most" priming issues are because of a poor seal between the pump basket lid and the pump housing. I suggest you open the basket and inspect the seal, lube it with pool lube , and reinstall it.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.