Hayward Omnilogic

Jul 7, 2012
We've had our pool with Hayward automation for about a year. I am still so confused.

I run my pump on a schedule from 8am to 8pm.

I have my chlorinator and heat pump both set to run on the same schedule (8a-8p). Chlorinator is set to run at 60% and heat pump at 83.

These are the only schedules I have set.

Lately, because of the cold nights, the heater extend is kicking in and the pump is running all night.

Somehow, the heater is upping to 85 at night and the chlorinator appears to just keep on running at 60%. This is obviously messing with my heat and chlorine levels.

Why is the chlorinator still running at 60% if I have it on a schedule to run from 8a-8p? Do I need to set another schedule from 8p-8a that tells it to run at 0%? Where is the heater getting 85 from 8p-8a?

I guess I'm just wondering what the system is supposed to do when it is "off schedule". I assumed the chlorinator and heater would just be off. But that doesn't appear to be happening. Does that make sense?

We had a Pentair system before this and it was so much more intuitive!

TIA.

I suggest you try and call Hayward support. Hayward has been opaque about exactly what freeze protection does on their automation.

If you learn anything please share it.

I suggest you try and call Hayward support. Hayward has been opaque about exactly what freeze protection does on their automation.

If you learn anything please share it.
It's not freezing yet here, although that'll add another dimension of confusion I'm sure. The heater extend basically just keeps the pump running if you're not at your heat point yet and it is scheduled to shut off.

Also I have tried to call Hayward. They told me they didn't have enough staff right now to help residential customers, due to Covid issues. They said to send an email instead. After multiple back and forths, I never really got an answer to my questions.

Also I have tried to call Hayward. They told me they didn't have enough staff right now to help residential customers, due to Covid issues. They said to send an email instead. After multiple back and forths, I never really got an answer to my questions.

I don’t think current Hayward support understands how their equipment works. Hayward support has declined since the family owned business was sold to a Private Equity firm. This is one of the reasons I prefer Pentair.

I also have an OmniLogic. From what you're saying, the pump seems to be staying on because of "heater extend". It's not clear why the temperature is going to 85 when you have it set to 83. If you have the old firmware, the SWG schedule will not work. That is, even if you set the SWG times, the generator will work all the time. If you upgrade to the newest firmware, the SWG schedule will be respected.

I also have an OmniLogic. From what you're saying, the pump seems to be staying on because of "heater extend". It's not clear why the temperature is going to 85 when you have it set to 83. If you have the old firmware, the SWG schedule will not work. That is, even if you set the SWG times, the generator will work all the time. If you upgrade to the newest firmware, the SWG schedule will be respected.
I updated the firmware on my system about 2 months ago. Is there anything newer?

Yes, the pump on/off has always worked pretty flawlessly. I'm not sure what is going on with the heater or chlorinator. They seem to just continue running as long as the pump is on, regardless of the schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The VS runs the same software as the Omni Logic and should operate the same, but there are a few instances where it can't. The salt system is one for sure, I'm assuming you have the Aquarite with the daughter board setup inside the VS. I have the same Omni VS Pump that you do, btw. I was excited with the last update because it seemed like I could finally run my 12 hour 85% pump schedule like I always do, but only turn the heat on at the end of it using the heater schedule. It seemed to work a few times for me, then it stopped working. Kind of hard to explain with text though. If you have a heater schedule setup, you can actually control your temps with two different settings. When you first go into the heater section, the temp setting you see is what the system tries to keep you at when your NOT in a schedule AND that temp setting is "on". I stopped running a heat schedule and now only keep my "main" heat temp setting where I want it and use the pump schedule to control that. Here's how: I schedule my pump to run at a speed that IS NOT enough flow to allow the heater to kick on (get's LO message) in the morning, just to mix up the cooler and warmer water from the cool night. Then, I schedule my pump to go up to 87% at noon, which IS enough to get my heater to fire up. In other words, my heater is always set to 85, but the pump schedule is what "controls" when the heater will (or can) actually try to increase the temp. This could explain why your heater went past your scheduled temp after the heater schedule stopped, you have to make sure your "main" heater temp setpoint isn't set to "on". Heater extend would also be the only reason your pump stays on after the pump schedule stopped. Hopefully that makes sense.

As far as Pentair being smarter/better/etc because it can do X, Jandy is smarter/better/etc at doing Z than some other systems too. All systems have their own "thing" that they do and the others don't. I've been working on Hayward to get a Temp Check like the Jandy's have for years, but they can't seem to figure out how.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.