Hayward Omnilogic Salt Cell Burned at motherboard

untukbilar

Apr 17, 2023
Los Angeles
Hello, I have had my system for about 4 years now and just this week, my Hayward omnilogic system started to throw some errors like "T-cell Cable /Sensor Open Chlorinator 1" and "T-cell Voltage Sensor Short". I opened the ol girl up and found that the connection where the salt cell connects to the mother board was completely burned up. Now I know that a new board costs like 1k...but everything else on the system works fine. Does anyone know where I can just buy the connection piece and solder a new piece onto the mother board? Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230416_123415.jpg
    20230416_123415.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 83
Welcome to TFP.

That is a problem we have seen occasionally.

The plug is a Molex 76650-0078 plug

The connector header on the pcb is Molex 00015246101, Digi-Key Part# WM7188-ND. EBay "15-24-6106 MOLEX CONN HEADER 10 POSITION 4.2mm VERT TIN" has been a source for it. It's an exact fitment except it's off white. It is also reported to be Mini-Fit BMI 42385

Reactions: hartpw
Welcome to TFP.

That is a problem we have seen occasionally.

The plug is a Molex 76650-0078 plug

The connector header on the pcb is Molex 00015246101, Digi-Key Part# WM7188-ND. EBay "15-24-6106 MOLEX CONN HEADER 10 POSITION 4.2mm VERT TIN" has been a source for it. It's an exact fitment except it's off white. It is also reported to be Mini-Fit BMI 42385
WOW, you are a god send! that is amazing. I am fairly confident in my solder capabilities. in your experience is this the issue and does soldering new connections fix it? and Also is it difficult? Thank you for your time and answers!

Reactions: newbie919
WOW, you are a god send! that is amazing. I am fairly confident in my solder capabilities. in your experience is this the issue and does soldering new connections fix it? and Also is it difficult? Thank you for your time and answers!
Hi I have the same problem. Were you able to fix it on your own with the parts listed above? Trying to determine if it’s the melted piece in my board or the actual salt cell. Thanks.

What did you replace?

Post pics of both sides of your board and your cabinet showing the wiring to the board.

Any update? Did you replace the board or T-Cell?
I have a similar problem and wondering how you resolved it. Not sure if my problem is just my salt cell or my board too. My board looks ok other than the connector. If my board is also compromised, not sure I can replace just the connector. I'll attach photos.

Attachments

• IMG_9434.jpeg
    IMG_9434.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9437.jpeg
    IMG_9437.jpeg
    430.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9435.jpeg
    IMG_9435.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
What causes these connectors to get burned?
High salt causing high amps combined with some corrosion in the connector causing resistance on the pin connection all causing heat at the pin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
High salt causing high amps combined with some corrosion in the connector causing resistance on the pin connection all causing heat at the pin.
hmm maybe these parts were burned last year and I didn't notice. I don’t have high salt (I'm pretty good about monitoring that) and I check pretty much daily and my amps are between high 4 to low 5s. Never checked for corrosion so that was probably the main factor.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem and wondering how you resolved it. Not sure if my problem is just my salt cell or my board too. My board looks ok other than the connector. If my board is also compromised, not sure I can replace just the connector. I'll attach photos.
I replaced the small salt cell board and soldered in a new header on the main board. Both the plastic header (the part the salt board plugs into on the main board) and the small salt cell board had burned. I had to take out the entire main board to get to the backside and do the solder work. Once I replaced the salt cell board and header, I had to replace the tcell. It is now operating as expected.

I replaced the small salt cell board and soldered in a new header on the main board. Both the plastic header (the part the salt board plugs into on the main board) and the small salt cell board had burned. I had to take out the entire main board to get to the backside and do the solder work. Once I replaced the salt cell board and header, I had to replace the tcell. It is now operating as expected.
hartpw. I plug on the main pcb board appears to be a male plug. After looking up part numbers on earlier post, they appear female. Could you tell me where you got the plug from and part#. Thanks in advance mark

hartpw. I plug on the main pcb board appears to be a male plug. After looking up part numbers on earlier post, they appear female. Could you tell me where you got the plug from and part#. Thanks in advance mark
Here is a pic of the burned header still on my main board before I removed it and replaced it with the part I posted in the link above.

Attachments

• IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: dungbeetles
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.