Hayward Omnilogic integration flaws

jmbinette

Jul 28, 2022
Canada
Hi to all,

I tried to get some answers last year but after failing to communicate with a competent Hayward engineer, I will try again here.
Last year, I got a pool installed and I got the Hayward Omnilogic controller with a HP70AEE variable heat pump.
My whole home is automated using Home Assistant and the purpose of buying the Omnilogic along with a variable heater was to be able to control my heating settings from Home Assistant and/or the Hayward app.

So far, I found 2 problems with their software that are yet to be resolved.

I tried to contact Hayward about this numerous times (USA and Canada) without any success.

Anyone here have a contact at Hayward software dev team ;)
Any suggestions appreciated !

1 - Freeze protection
At the start and end of the season, my pool pump stops on cold days/nights. I come to the pool and notice the water is not flowing and pump is OFF

When the outside temperature drops below 4C, the "freeze protect" function starts the pump (if it is not already running).
The problem is that when the temperature returns above 4C, the pump stops, regardless of whether it was already running before.

On this example, the pumps STOP when outside temperature reaches 4C. It would be so simple in the software to differentiate freeze protect sequence when the pump was already running before or not.
image (2).png

2 - Variable heat pump functioning as fixed speed

When was time to wire the heater, Hayward informed me that it needs to be 2-wire remote control. So put the heater setpoint at 104F and let the Omnilogic start/stop the heater.
I then contacted Hayward saying that this was ridiculous because I bought a variable heater but this control scheme was not using the variable speed potential. This method is OFF or 100% speed.
The way the HP70AEE works :
  • 100% if water temperature difference with setpoint is > 2F
  • 80% if water temperature difference with setpoint is <= 2F
  • 50% if water temperature difference with setpoint is <= 1F
  • 20% if water temperature is at setpoint.
Then Hayward informed me of a new way ton control it : You need to set the variable heater to whatever setpoint you want and the Omnilogic heating setpoint to 4F higher to prevent short-cycling.

Now I have a brand new Omnilogic controller and heater and I cannot change the setpoint from my phone, I have to walk behind to my pool house to change the setpoint.
This make no sense.

Thanks,

Yes, it would be nice if the pool companies were faster improving their automation features.

Freeze Protection has always been a black box with no explanation about how it is supposed to work.

Products are not as integrated and communicate as well as they could.

This is the state of the pool industry.

Hi to all,

I tried to get some answers last year but after failing to communicate with a competent Hayward engineer, I will try again here.
Last year, I got a pool installed and I got the Hayward Omnilogic controller with a HP70AEE variable heat pump.
My whole home is automated using Home Assistant and the purpose of buying the Omnilogic along with a variable heater was to be able to control my heating settings from Home Assistant and/or the Hayward app.

So far, I found 2 problems with their software that are yet to be resolved.

I tried to contact Hayward about this numerous times (USA and Canada) without any success.

Anyone here have a contact at Hayward software dev team ;)
Any suggestions appreciated !

1 - Freeze protection
At the start and end of the season, my pool pump stops on cold days/nights. I come to the pool and notice the water is not flowing and pump is OFF

When the outside temperature drops below 4C, the "freeze protect" function starts the pump (if it is not already running).
The problem is that when the temperature returns above 4C, the pump stops, regardless of whether it was already running before.

On this example, the pumps STOP when outside temperature reaches 4C. It would be so simple in the software to differentiate freeze protect sequence when the pump was already running before or not.
View attachment 506796

2 - Variable heat pump functioning as fixed speed

When was time to wire the heater, Hayward informed me that it needs to be 2-wire remote control. So put the heater setpoint at 104F and let the Omnilogic start/stop the heater.
I then contacted Hayward saying that this was ridiculous because I bought a variable heater but this control scheme was not using the variable speed potential. This method is OFF or 100% speed.
The way the HP70AEE works :
  • 100% if water temperature difference with setpoint is > 2F
  • 80% if water temperature difference with setpoint is <= 2F
  • 50% if water temperature difference with setpoint is <= 1F
  • 20% if water temperature is at setpoint.
Then Hayward informed me of a new way ton control it : You need to set the variable heater to whatever setpoint you want and the Omnilogic heating setpoint to 4F higher to prevent short-cycling.

Now I have a brand new Omnilogic controller and heater and I cannot change the setpoint from my phone, I have to walk behind to my pool house to change the setpoint.
This make no sense.

Thanks,
From what I’ve experienced of the freeze protect functionality, once the air temp crosses below the protect setpoint, the controller ignores all pump schedules and enters freeze protect mode. Once the temp the rises above the set point, it should then return to any programmed schedules. If there is a schedule that would have the pump running, does your pump still stay off once freeze protect mode ends?

Regarding the HP70AEE heater, I’d looked into this not too long ago; it does have an RS-485 connection header, same as a VSP pump, but the documentation from Hayward still says that remote control will be available in the future. Hayward’s support portal still doesn’t even have a section for the Variable Heat Pumps created yet. I wonder if they’re maybe planning a firmware update in the future to implement control with the Omnilogic, but it’s not released yet.

From what I’ve experienced of the freeze protect functionality, once the air temp crosses below the protect setpoint, the controller ignores all pump schedules and enters freeze protect mode. Once the temp the rises above the set point, it should then return to any programmed schedules. If there is a schedule that would have the pump running, does your pump still stay off once freeze protect mode ends?
Once the freeze protect mode ends, the pump turns OFF. No matter if it was running before entering freeze protect mode.

Regarding the HP70AEE heater, I’d looked into this not too long ago; it does have an RS-485 connection header, same as a VSP pump, but the documentation from Hayward still says that remote control will be available in the future. Hayward’s support portal still doesn’t even have a section for the Variable Heat Pumps created yet. I wonder if they’re maybe planning a firmware update in the future to implement control with the Omnilogic, but it’s not released yet.
Exactly, even their distributors are not fully aware that the variable heater work exactly the same as a fixed speed when used in conjunction with the Omnilogic. This is so confusing and ridiculous.

I bought top-of-the-line of their product card and they cannot deliver on what's advertised.
On top of that, they fail to deliver simple fixes via firmware updates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.