Hayward OmniLogic Freeze Protect

Apr 25, 2018
Franklin TN
We have a Hayward OmniLogic controller for our pumps, heaters and valves. We are in middle Tennessee and we run our pool year-round, but stop hearing when night-time temps dip below the 50s.

Our OmniLogic controller automatically turns our pumps on when the air temp drops below 40. However, the freeze protect cycles on and off constantly, every few minutes. For instance, right now it’s 26 F outside and freeze protect just shut off. It will stay off for about 2 minutes and then start again, for about 1 minute. This happens continuously until the air temperature goes above 40

When the pumps stop and I view the OmniLogic app on my phone, freeze protect will be off, so it’s not like the pumps go off even when freeze protect is shown to be on.

Also, two of my pumps are not affected (or switched on) by freeze protect.

If this is not normal, which I suspect it’s not, how do I fix it?

When the pumps stop and I view the OmniLogic app on my phone, freeze protect will be off, so it’s not like the pumps go off even when freeze protect is shown to be on.

I don’t understand what you think is a problem.

Also, two of my pumps are not affected (or switched on) by freeze protect.

See pdf page 27 in https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/omnilogic-hlbase-install.pdf for how to edit the configuration and set Freeze Protect on for a pump.

What model pumps do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool.

Hi. Sorry for the lack of a signature. I’ve created one.

The problem I’m having is that although I have an air temperature sensor and the air temperature is below freezing, the OmniLogic controller turns off the freeze protect after only one minute. It then stays off for two minutes and then goes back on again for a minute. This happens continuously, until the air temperature goes above freezing. One minute on, two off, all night long (because that's typically when the temperatures remain below freezing).

As I understand it, the freeze protect should never turn off when the air temperature is below freezing.

Does that make sense? Maybe I'm not explaining this correctly.

I don’t know why your system is doing 1 minute on and 2 off. But nothing will freeze in 2 minutes. Read...

I don’t know why your system is doing 1 minute on and 2 off. But nothing will freeze in 2 minutes. Read...

I just know it's not working properly and having the pumps cycle on and off for hours isn't ideal. I sure would like to figure out how to fix the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NorthStar pumps are not VS and Jandy SHPF1.0 Stealth pumps are not VS.

Ohh.. That could be a bit a bit expensive. However the fact that 2 of your pumps don't even run with the freeze protection I would consider this money well spent for piece of mind.

I did find this which eludes to freeze protection working similar to what you are experiencing but without confirmation from hayward I would still keep things on 24-7.

The manuals should really explain exactly how it is supposed to work to avoid these issues. I had to call tech support as well when my freeze protect was coming on at 40 degrees. This made no sense to me and the manual explained nothing about it. Even after I talked to tech support I still did not have a clear understanding of how it is supposed to work because they did not know either...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.