Hayward Northstar Motor Humming, Won’t Start

DIY4LIFE

Apr 26, 2020
Rancho Cordova, CA
I own a 2005 Hayward Northstar Pump. Diffuser went bad (cracked), bought identical replacement, all ready to go... and the motor won't go back into the pump housing. We are not able to flush motor mounting plate with pump flange. Hence we can't lock Motor Lock Ring. We tried pushing motor inside pump but no luck. I have checked diffuser, diffuser o-ring, seal plate o-ring, etc. Nothing else is blocking. I am 2 hours into just this part and hitting a wall. Any suggestion on how to fix this issue? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pump.png
    pump.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 12
Thanks in advance for any help! 15-year-old Hayward Northstar motor. Opened up the pump housing, and impeller spins OK but defuser was cracked, so I was hoping that was the issue. Replaced it. But turned it on and same thing happened as before... the pump tries to start for 10 seconds and then shuts off. I replace the capacitor six months ago. Could this be the capacitor again or do I need a new motor? I’d appreciate any thoughts the pros here might have!

You live in Califorina. If the motor is larger than 1.05THP, you cannot replace it with another SS motor. You will have to get a multi-speed or variable speed motor.

Reactions: DIY4LIFE
Check with InyoPools tomorrow. They will have complete VS pumps or VS motors that should fit on your wet end.

A $36 capacitor did the trick! Not sure why the one I replaced just 8 months ago died, but this was the issue. I am not delusional that this 15 year old pump is likely already going to make the Guiness Book of World Records for oldest working pump and probably going to die on me soon, but for now, it is purring. Will be a new variable speed pump when it's time to go to pump Heaven. Thanks, all.

Reactions: mknauss
A $36 capacitor did the trick! Not sure why the one I replaced just 8 months ago died, but this was the issue. I am not delusional that this 15 year old pump is likely already going to make the Guiness Book of World Records for oldest working pump and probably going to die on me soon, but for now, it is purring. Will be a new variable speed pump when it's time to go to pump Heaven. Thanks, all.
Good on ya . The only real reason to toss a motor is the windings are open or shorted. other then that Under $50 will fix anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.