Hayward Millivolt H200 Heater

byeloe

Jun 8, 2017
Lindsay Ontario
Hi

I was having trouble getting my heater to fire, so I watched some videos, changed the pilot assembly, tested all the switches and cleaned all the contacts.

Great now it fires, but then the pilot goes out. Seems like the initial combustion is blowing it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Did you clean the burner tube completely? A lot of times spiders will build in them and when the unit fires it'll blow back blowing the pilot out.

Maybe our resident gas expert Paul (PS0303) will see this and comment.

Propane or natural gas?

So you light the pilot and it stays lit with no issues. But when you turn the heater on the pilot goes out? I'm guessing that the unit stays lit and working until you turn it off. Then you are left with no pilot for the next time you go to use the heater. Can you take a meter and test the millivolt reading to see what it is at when it's in standby mode? You should be 450+ for it to operate correctly.

When you have a drop in power like this then you have an item that is shorting the power. My first stop to check on these units is the on/off switch. Disconnect the two wires to it and use a jumper wire. Keep in mind it will fire up right away if this is the issue. You can also use your meter to check the voltage along all of the safeties and that too can tell you where you have an issue.

Millivolt testing.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thanks

I tried jumping the toggle switch but the heater did not fire. When I turn temp down until heater shuts off, the THPP to PP reading takes awhile to build back up to the 500ish range, but the heater will refire at that point(at least it just did it a couple of times). Back when the heater was working well, it used to turn on and off(a lot quicker) by moving the thermostat past the click

I would start checking with a meter to see if all of your safeties are working ok. Sounds like one or more of them are drawing down the power when you turn it on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.