Hayward Maxflo 500 or Tristar VS 900

Mboni

Mar 26, 2021
Toronto
Hey guys
Pool construction is about to begin and I want any opinions on whether it makes sense to upgrade my pump.
Pool size is 9000 gallons
No water features
12 by 27 rectangle

which pump is better and why looking for any help or suggestions as a new soon to be pool owner.
Thanks all

The VS 900 Omni is the way to go.. It will run everything including heaters, lights or SWG's or anything you add later... it is also a bigger 1.85 hp pump compared to the Maxflo 500 being a 1.65 hp motor.. :)

I am not sure... Will you use it at a later date or add anything in the next few years? other than that I really do not know :)

The Tristar has almost, but not quite double the water output for the same speed. I have the Tristar (older version) with the 1.85 hp motor, but I also have a 25K gallon pool. I typically run the pump at about 30% speed (1050 RPM). At this speed and negligible head, I get about 40 GPM. I have effectively 12 returns and big pipes.

The Maxflo, assuming similar conditions, would be running about ~1360 RPM to get the same flow. It uses ~83 Watts vs 70 Watts for the Tristar, at least according to the Hayward energy calculator. My real world number is 63 Watts when my filter is clean. YMMV.

If you run 24/7, like I do, the energy difference is 727 kWh/yr vs 613 kWh/yr. Call it 115 kWh/yr. My power this year is "expensive" at $0.087/kWh. The energy cost difference would be $10 per year. Not much. If your price of electricity is higher, use the ratio.

If you NEED the flow capability of the Tristar for other things (water falls, etc.) then go for it. Otherwise, go with the Maxflo and spend the savings on a Salt Water Chlorine Generator and or a Maytronic Pool cleaning robot.

That system uses some sort of "metal" cartridge, maybe like a "Pool Frog". Putting metals into a pool is not recommended here. It can lead to staining and generally has dubious benefits.

I run a Hayward standard T-15 cell with a controller. Many here run Pentair and Circupool products. Main thing is to get one with a good reputation and have it "sized" to about double your pool. For 9000 gallon, a 25K system works great. For my 25K pool I use a 40K cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.