Hayward High CO emissions

Rillz

Sep 2, 2023
Ny
Hello,

I have a Hayward H200 natural gas heater we have had for 8 years and my family and I almost lost our life last month as the heater started to emit high levels CO into our home out of the blue. Luckily our CO detector functioned as it should and alerted us. The levels reached 150 ppm.

The heater is working and heating the pool and no error code so I was told the most likely cause of the issue was clogged oriface however when I checked they were clear but the burner tubes were full of soot (pictures attached) which leads me to believe it may be a gas flow issue cause if this? I just changed the heat exchange a few years ago and the pool is not leaking at all so I don’t think that’s the issue but I just don’t know what to do. Anyone ever have this happen? Could it be the valve needs adjustment or maybe a new valve all together? Does these even come unadjusted or fail sometimes? Any help would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_2599.jpeg
    IMG_2599.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2601.jpeg
    IMG_2601.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: Brian PacNW
Natural gas is mostly methane CH4.

Complete combustion requires the correct stochiometric ratio of oxygen to methane.

CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O

One molecule of methane reacts with two molecules of oxygen gas to yield one molecule of carbon dioxide and two molecules of water.

When you have complete combustion, the flame is very hot and the color is blue.

When you have incomplete combustion due to insufficient oxygen, the flame is orange (Meaning less heat) and the exhaust will contain carbon (soot), carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and water.

9CH4 + 15O2 --> C + 4CO + 4CO2 + 18H2O

600px-Combustion_reaction_of_methane.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Show us wider pics of the heater location.

The house ventilation should not be pulling the heater exhaust into the house.

Sooting indicates too rich a gas to air mixture. Too much gas and too little air.

What color are the burner flames? Yellow or blue?

I think @swamprat69 will tell you to have that heater checked out by a NATE certified technician.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia and JamesW
The burners and heat exchanger are probably compromised due to corrosion and sooting.

The excessive corrosion indicates a bad local environment or some sort of a stray current.

A bad local environment might be due to chemicals like chlorine or acid or excessive water from a sprinkler or maybe rain from a roof.

Stray current can be from a variety of sources.

Check for any sort of stray currents.

The heater is probably a total loss.

I would probably replace the heater and install it in a new location where it will not get wet and where it will not have exhaust that can enter the house.

Verify that the gas pressure static and dynamic are within the required range.

James and Allen are both giving you sage advice. Cannot tell exactly what piece you are holding in second photo? Rusting above the front of the combustion chamber is an indication of blockage/partial blockage of the path of the combustion byproducts and spillage. Cannot really tell the total condition of the heater from info/photos provided. Photos of entire heater and installation and entire space around installation would be needed including any other equipment in the space. Chemicals stored in the area can greatly effect the life of a heater. That is the reason that a water heater installed in a beauty shop rarely lasts more than a year. If this is installed inside of your house, makeup air ventilation needs for the heater and any other heating appliances MUST be met ( I.E. makeup air openings in an enclosed space or makeup air availability for the house [ some people have oversealed their house in an effort to prevent heat loss in the winter recently] ). Heater may not be cost effectively repairable, but replacement without addressing the root cause of the problem would not be advisable.

The heater is working and heating the pool and no error code so I was told the most likely cause of the issue was clogged oriface however when I checked they were clear but the burner tubes were full of soot (pictures attached) which leads me to believe it may be a gas flow issue cause if this?
The heater needs to be taken out of service immediately and kept out of service until the installation can be done correctly.

There is obviously a problem with the heater and the location of the heater.

Did you determine how the exhaust was getting into the house?

What openings are near the heater?

I have a Hayward H200 natural gas heater we have had for 8 years and my family and I almost lost our life last month as the heater started to emit high levels CO into our home out of the blue. Luckily our CO detector functioned as it should and alerted us. The levels reached 150 ppm.
Are you sure that it was from the pool heater?

Did a service person do an analysis of the exhaust gas to determine the composition of chemicals in the exhaust?

It looks like it is outside, so how did all of the exhaust get in the house?

Maybe you have a different issue?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Usually your natural gas supplier will check for the source of carbon monoxide. Many times a customer will call their HVAC contractor if they have recently installed any equipment that might be the source of detected carbon monoxide. Most fire departments will check for CO, but may be unable to trace the source. Most of the time the source of the carbon monoxide can be traced back to lack of cleaning/ maintenance of gas appliances.

Reactions: JamesW
Carbon monoxide can also come from unexpected sources. Once had an older gentleman who called us out for carbon monoxide because he was convinced that the new furnace we installed was causing his carbon monoxide detector to go off. Furnace was not producing carbon monoxide and neither was the water heater. He always called us in the afternoon, which was when the detector alarm would go off. Upon questioning as to his schedule, found that he was getting " meals on wheels" for his lunches and would heat them up in his oven. When I opened the oven door I found the oven to be entirely encrusted with spillage. "Bingo" found the source of the carbon monoxide!

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.