Hayward Heater Smoking and Smelling, but working..

Have you opened up the panels in the heater to see what if burning.

It sounds like some critters may have nested in it over the winter.

You have to dig deeper into the burner can.

Sounds like you have some critters who nested in the heater.

You need to get under the heat exchanger and maybe into the fire box.

Last edited:
Fireboxes have refactory insulation to direct the heat and not melt down the rest of the heater cabinet.

Critters like to chew up that insulation and I wonder if you are missing some.

I have never got that deep into that heater to know what it should look like.

Maybe @swamprat69 @1poolman1 @wireform @Lake Placid can have a look.

Last edited:
Fireboxes have refactory insulation to direct the heat and not melt down the rest of the heater cabinet.

Critters like to chew up that insulation and I wonder if you are missing some.

I have never got that deep into that heater to know what it should look like.

Maybe @swamprat69 @1poolman1 @wireform @Lake Placid can have a look.
A heater shouldn't look like that, even after years of use. If I were called out to service it, I would not put it back into service, too much damage to the fire box, very "sooted" condition, burners clogged with refractory material, etc.

A heater shouldn't look like that, even after years of use. If I were called out to service it, I would not put it back into service, too much damage to the fire box, very "sooted" condition, burners clogged with refractory material, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I got the heater is 2015 so used it about 8 seasons.. Tarped it over the winter but left it outside.. Any ideas how this happens or is that about how long they last?

$2K is about my budget to replace.. I see a Raypak 150K BUT is around that much but dont' know much about them.. Any info you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the winter? Why would there be moisture built up inside the heater during the closed seasons?

What is the proper way to protect the heater (sans storing it indoors) during closed seasons?

Thanks
As long as there is not a large amount of water falling directly on a heater, as from a roof, or trees, or sprinklers, it can be left uncovered in Winter. If there is danger of that, a light covering, a removable shed-like roof, etc. can help. Tarping a heater tight and no ventilation can cause condensation to build up in the cabinet can cause issues.
The damage to that heater looks more like a leaking heat exchanger, but hard to know without seeing it in operation.

Thanks for the reply. I got the heater is 2015 so used it about 8 seasons.. Tarped it over the winter but left it outside.. Any ideas how this happens or is that about how long they last?

$2K is about my budget to replace.. I see a Raypak 150K BUT is around that much but dont' know much about them.. Any info you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks
My preference would be the RayPak.
When they break, and everything does, they are easier to diagnose and repair. Even the LoNox versions have fewer electronics in them.