Hayward Heater problem

An 8 month old heater should still be under warranty with Hayward. Make a warranty claim.

It's a 15000 btu and I don't know the cfm
150k heater requires 150 cubic feet per HOUR of fuel (more or less). Standard residential gas meters are usually rated at 175-250 (it will be on the meter somewhere). Should be adequate.
Your heater is firing, so gas supply doesn't seem to be the issue. A 3 degree C (6 f) rise in temperature in 1 minute indicates too little water going through the heat exchanger, getting too hot, and posing a scalding danger. The heater will shut down to prevent that. There should be an error code indicated.
All that flex PVC is strongly suspect, as well as that 90 right in front of the pump.
The wall thickness of flex is larger, decreasing the inside diameter. That results in about a 30% decrease in water flow rating over the same length of rigid. Low flow might be just enough to close the pressure switch but can cause what you are experiencing.

Reactions: Stevemiana
150k heater requires 150 cubic feet per HOUR of fuel (more or less). Standard residential gas meters are usually rated at 175-250 (it will be on the meter somewhere). Should be adequate.
Your heater is firing, so gas supply doesn't seem to be the issue. A 3 degree C (6 f) rise in temperature in 1 minute indicates too little water going through the heat exchanger, getting too hot, and posing a scalding danger. The heater will shut down to prevent that. There should be an error code indicated.
All that flex PVC is strongly suspect, as well as that 90 right in front of the pump.
The wall thickness of flex is larger, decreasing the inside diameter. That results in about a 30% decrease in water flow rating over the same length of rigid. Low flow might be just enough to close the pressure switch but can cause what you are experiencing.
Only 1 time I got a HS error but after that I haven't got anything.
So from what I'm understanding , ur saying I should change all my piping to rigid pvc?

Last edited:
So from what I'm understanding , ur saying I should change all my piping to rigid pvc?
What we are saying is whoever did that plumbing had no understanding about fluid flow hydraulics, head loss, and manufacturer plumbing recommdations.

Manufacturers recommend you have 5X the pipe diameter in straight line pipe into pump suction to reduce water turbulence. You don’t have that.

The pipes make sharp bends that increase head and reduce flow.

You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump.

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM

That means using at least 1.5” rigid PVC on suction and 2” PVC on all the plumbing from the pump output to the pool returns.

We don’t know what other poor plumbing practices were done below ground to the pool that we cannot see. But it looks like the substandard pool plumbing you have is restricting your pumps ability to push water through.

Replacing the flex PVC may be the solution or just the beginning of the fix. Hard to tell from a keyboard what is really going on with your pool. But we see a few troublesome areas.

Reactions: Stevemiana
What we are saying is whoever did that plumbing had no understanding about fluid flow hydraulics, head loss, and manufacturer plumbing recommdations.

Manufacturers recommend you have 5X the pipe diameter in straight line pipe into pump suction to reduce water turbulence. You don’t have that.

The pipes make sharp bends that increase head and reduce flow.

You want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec on the suction and below 8 ft/sec on the pressure side of the pump.

Pipe Size6 ft/sec8 ft/sec
1.5"38 GPM51 GPM
2"63 GPM84 GPM
2.590 GPM119 GPM
3.0"138 GPM184 GPM

That means using at least 1.5” rigid PVC on suction and 2” PVC on all the plumbing from the pump output to the pool returns.

We don’t know what other poor plumbing practices were done below ground to the pool that we cannot see. But it looks like the substandard pool plumbing you have is restricting your pumps ability to push water through.

Replacing the flex PVC may be the solution or just the beginning of the fix. Hard to tell from a keyboard what is really going on with your pool. But we see a few troublesome areas.
I kind of knew that the pool installer was an idiot and didn't know much.
I can re pipe the pad but can someone please recommend a schematics of what to do based on the pics?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.