Hayward Heater Gusher

I’ve completed the bypass, I feel like a cardiac surgeon ;)
I like PolyTech Pools. Free shipping and not tax. The 406A would get my choice... I would avoid the Low NoX version (407A)
I’d venture for the 400btu, but that’s when gas line size/volume starts to be of concern. I’m going to try with yheRP2100 336k, and Inyopools seems to have the best price but I appreciate the Polytech recommendation, I’ll price it if Inyo charges tax.
I know exactly what you mean about LoNox-if I can. Most of the Hayward and Pentairs heater installed locally are standard with LoNox and Cupro-nickel,hence their higher cost.

Well the drama continues. I realized that with the new home, I have a home warranty with a rider for the pool/spa equipment where they will diagnose, analyze and repair/replace pool heater up to $3,000.
I’ve already bypassed the heater. I took the exchanger out, but it’s no big deal to put it back together.
What shall I do? I’m like kinda panicking now.

My experience with these things is they rarely play ball to replace the unit, and may end up trying to replace the exchanger.

When I read you just bought the home I was wondering if there was a home warranty in play.... sooooooo....hmm... I'd say give the home warranty a try. You can always not follow through with the claim. But If you've been in there mucking around they may see the DIY repair attempt and say the warranty is invalid.. but I'm guessing it wont hurt anything to try. It's not like there is a huge rush to get it replaced right now.. or is there? I got quite a few things covered under my home warranty when it was in effect.. so YMMV.

In the meantime.. tell the inspector, you fashioned a bypass to be installed after he inspects at it because you want to get your pool's filtration going again. ;)

Last edited:
KDpoolguy,

My experience with home warranty companies regarding pool heaters is they always find a way to blame the homeowner for the problem. BUt you have to try at least and see what your company tells you. I would be surprised if they even offered to replace the heat exchanger.

KDpoolguy,

My experience with home warranty companies regarding pool heaters is they always find a way to blame the homeowner for the problem. BUt you have to try at least and see what your company tells you. I would be surprised if they even offered to replace the heat exchanger.
Yup, and keep in mind you still have to pay for the service call?

I'm going to give the home warranty a try. It has the rider for this type of coverage and the fine print does allow up to and including replacement. This weekend I'll put the thing back together. I actually have pictures and even video of the leak that I guess I could show them?
It's a $75 service fee, but it's worth the squeeze to try. I may not be able to select the heater I want (Raypak), and honestly...if they just replace the exchanger, I'd actually be OK with that. After looking at the inside, I wouldn't agree that a repair is appropriate for an (almost) 20 year old heater, but I think I'll get a couple more years out of it.

Ya definitely worth trying the home warranty route. on my last house with a pool, I had a home warranty
and forgot and paid a couple hundred for some leak repairs. DUMB!!!

Then I got a warranty with the new place withe a pool. The multiport valve developed a hairline fracture
and started dripping very slowly the end of the first year. Called the warranty place and they replaced
it quickly, no questions asked. Heaters.....ya could be more difficult I heard, but worth a try.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.