Gallatin, tn
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
We have a new pool and new heat pump (2 months old) that has now tripped the breaker twice. I’m not sure exactly when or why. It will run all day just fine but then at some point I’ll go over to the equipment pad and it’s completely off with the breaker tripped.
one question, is the condensation supposed to just run off the equipment pad? I guess I’m used to Hvac systems having a condensation pvc pipe. It’s definitely getting a lot more use in the last week than before.
I worry that the electrician may have tried to cut corners and under sized the wire or the breaker. I’m not an expert at those types to things so I have no clue.

What size breaker?

Post pics of the breaker and the heat pump and equipment pad.

I would notify the builder, electrician, and Hayward and open a warranty claim.

50 amps is the right size CB for the HP. It is interesting that the CB has no manufacturer marking on the outside. The white square looks like it is a GFCI CB.

I don't like that the condensation is pooling around where the electrical conduit is. I wonder if the condensation is causing a GFCI trip of the CB. That would explain the variability in the trip. It only trips on high condensation times.

I would open up the HP and see how the electrical wires are connected at the end of the conduit, if they are exposed to moisture, and if they show and signs of moisture or corrosion.

Post a pic of the water plumbing connected to the HP.

Last edited:
More pics
This is inside of the HP and you can see the electrical conduit coming in from the bottom
17.jpg

Inside the HP, the conduit is coming in from the bottom. There is moisture there but I wouldn't think it's getting on the wires.
18.jpg

A better pic of the conduit going into the control panel of the HP
19.jpg
Plumbing in the back
20.jpg
The CB with the panel off
21.jpg

The outside circuit breakers for my HVAC system, this is where the electrician tapped into my electricity. I'm pretty sure he replaced the breaker for the pool but I'm not 100% sure.
22.jpg
Last one, This is the main wire coming from the bigger panel. I noticed this about a week or 2 ago. We have received a lot of rain in the past couple of weeks and I guess some of it could have gotten into this. It loops down and then into the pool breaker box. I would think a problem here would affect all of the pool equipment.
23.jpg

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
It looks like the electrician used green wires and taped them black at the ends. Whenever I see anyone do that, I immediately question their ability. Anyone who knows what they're doing will use the correct color wire. Using the wrong color wire is lazy, sloppy and unprofessional.

I would do a warranty claim and let the builder deal with it.

Talked to the builder last night, they are going to talk to the electrician. I'm hoping its just a bad breaker. Sometimes when I turn the heater breaker off and back on the breaker for the pump trips. it's right next to the heat pump breaker. I'm not sure if its something electrical or it's the physical movement of the breaker that's tripping it. Otherwise it never trips

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.