Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
*edit… Hayward HP21404t Heat Pump

After finally repairing the heat exchanger from February’s winter snowmageddon here in TX, I powered up the heat pump for the first time last weekend, and the compressor fan won’t spin. Ran through the Hayward troubleshooting and it said it was the start capacitor. Decided to change both capacitors since they were cheap.

Powered her up today, still not running. I can hear the compressor running.

2 questions:
1) any ideas? I’m thinking fan motor.
2) fan motor is hpx11023564 - are there alternatives? Can I find/use an aftermarket motor?

Last edited:
Sorry you have not received any replies. I assume this is a Hayward Heat Pump. More detail always helps our members provide advice.

Sorry you have not received any replies. I assume this is a Hayward Heat Pump. More detail always helps our members provide advice.
Thanks, you are correct, Hayward pump. I did some editing to my OP.

Thank you. Heat pumps are that piece of equipment that pool folks do not know much about, and HVAC folks do not want to deal with. A Search of the Forum using your model number has a lot of hits, so you might consider doing that.

If that is the correct manual, it seems that the part number that you listed for the fan motor is incorrect. In the notes it states that the HP21404T is built on the "Summit" platform and uses the "SUM8TA parts list" which shows the fan motor with a part number with the prefix SMX.

If that is the correct manual, it seems that the part number that you listed for the fan motor is incorrect. In the notes it states that the HP21404T is built on the "Summit" platform and uses the "SUM8TA parts list" which shows the fan motor with a part number with the prefix SMX.
Interesting, I pulled it off a parts list on Hayward’s website. I’m going to troubleshoot it more today with my DMM and make sure it’s getting power, and then pull the motor and look for a part number.
Just curious if I can find an aftermarket motor with the same voltage/hp/frame size

Started messing with it and it worked. Shut off when I closed the panel.
Either it’s a bad/loose connection or it was a coincidence and something else is wrong - which pulse point towards possible a capacitor but I just changed both of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s all fixed. I don’t know what was wrong with it but I disconnected a bunch of connections and coated it with noalox. It’s been exposed for 5 months so I suppose there was some oxidation from the aluminum wiring and quick connects.

The difference on the "Summit" platform is that the fan motor is started by a feed from the circuit board rather than a separate dedicated contactor. You need to look at both the "Summit" wiring diagram and parts list when working on and troubleshooting your heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.