Hayward H400FDP won't fire

Oct 18, 2016
Glen Mills, PA
Followed the service guide and it certainly seemed as though the gas valve was at fault. There was zero smell of propane at all and everything else seemed good after receiving the "IF" error code. I switched out the gas valve and now I do smell a little propane when it tries to fire, but nothing else. Managed to get a borescope through the viewing port while firing. Pictures attached. Looks like the ignition is heating up. Is it supposed to do that or is it supposed to spark?

Also, are the burners supposed to be surrounded by blackish gravel or is that immense amounts of buildup? Trying to figure out what else could be wrong or if it's just in need of a serious cleaning since I'm still getting the IF code and it won't fire up.

Help???

And through the flame sensor port.

Attachments

• 190510_180945.jpg
    190510_180945.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Although you might smell gas, you need to check and see if the pressure is correct. You would need a manometer to measure the gas before and after the gas valve.

I took out the first burner, cleaned it up a little and it fired right up. I think I'll get somebody out to give it a thorough service/cleaning. Thanks folks for taking a look at this. Am still interested to know if the black stuff either side of the burner is some sort of insulation or if it is build up that needs to be removed.

I took out the first burner, cleaned it up a little and it fired right up. I think I'll get somebody out to give it a thorough service/cleaning. Thanks folks for taking a look at this. Am still interested to know if the black stuff either side of the burner is some sort of insulation or if it is build up that needs to be removed.

It could be soot from the bottom of the heat exchanger.

Yep, soot. Make sure the heater has enough combustion AND make up air available to it. Is this heater in an enclosure?

You can get sooting from not enough air as well as not enough fuel. You may want to take Paul's advice about checking the gas pressure.

Followed the service guide and it certainly seemed as though the gas valve was at fault. There was zero smell of propane at all and everything else seemed good after receiving the "IF" error code. I switched out the gas valve and now I do smell a little propane when it tries to fire, but nothing else. Managed to get a borescope through the viewing port while firing. Pictures attached. Looks like the ignition is heating up. Is it supposed to do that or is it supposed to spark?

Also, are the burners supposed to be surrounded by blackish gravel or is that immense amounts of buildup? Trying to figure out what else could be wrong or if it's just in need of a serious cleaning since I'm still getting the IF code and it won't fire up.

Help???

View attachment 100713

And through the flame sensor port.

View attachment 100715
Does your heater smell when it burns..Mine has a weird combustion stick bad enough I blow a small fan toward it when using. Seems better after a couple of years but still noticeable

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.