Hayward H400 replacement part inquiry

May 5, 2018
Jerich NY
We have an inground pool with an old Hayward H400 propane heater. Once it's warmed up, it works fine but has a tendency to click off a few seconds after it lights up. It does that a few times until I get an "IF" Ignition Failure error. When the pool was opened last year and I explained the issue to the service guy, he said (and I'm paraphrasing): "I like Hayward pumps but not their heaters because this is a common problem I see with these. I recommend that you press ON and then, as soon as it lights up, click OFF. Do that a bunch of times to dry up any condensation on the [insert part name here that I can't remember]. Once it's dry, it should go on and stay on without trouble."

And that worked . . . mostly, but the ON/OFF process takes a lot of time. If I can change whatever part (or parts) it is that needs changing, I'd rather do that then spend ~$3,500 on a new 400k BTU heater. Of course, this assumes a replacement part will remedy the issue.

Has anyone addressed similar issues?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.