Hayward H400 H400IDPL A0 error code

Yea, If I call a service Tech I expect to stay with them and call Hayward. The Hayward Tech gave me his personal extension for the service tech to call after I told him I did not expect much more from the service rep other than what I have accomplished with help from this you and this board. Unit operates even more than your summary as the gas lights at the burners but only stays on for 5 seconds or so. What keeps me going is this service cycle works so perfectly up to issuing the IF error. Everything works, it just shuts down after 5 secs.
Summary operation is:
I turn on Spa pump to initiate call for heat. The blower starts on low speed. After about 30-40 seconds (manual says 40 seconds), blower changes to high speed and gas ignites (Green LED comes on, exhaust is hot) but then after a about 5 seconds, flame goes out, blower returns to low speed to (Green LED goes out, exhaust is cold). This repeats 2 times then IF code is issued. I can restart this cycle by incrementing Mode to Spa or it will repeat the cycle endlessly each hour as long as Spa pump is on.

Btw, when I first start the cycle, error code HS is also being displayed. This is Maximum return water temp alert. I believe this since the water has been sitting in the AZ sun that can bake cookies! It clears soon after the water flow is established.

So what shuts it down?
I was going to hook my Volt meter up to the Gas Valve and see if the voltage is interrupted at 5 secs.

Thanks.

I'm still stuck at the the unit cycling through the startup. It fires for four (4) seconds each time then throws IF error code.
It has been suggested from other sources that it could due to water flow bypassing the heat exchanger or interruption in the Safety Loop.
I still think it is due to very low uA from the flame sensor.
Can anyone suggest how I can verify proper grounding of the Flame Sensor circuit?
I would also like to artificially load the FS circuit to deliver 6 uA to the control board and see if it runs but that seems complicated to achieve.
PS0303 - Thanks for your help.

Still working it. No resolution but I was able to eliminate the Flame Sensor loop as the problem. I moved my rectification test to the heater and was able to introduce a current to the sensor circuit. I did several tests, one of which was a steady 6.4 uA to the sensor on the control board while the flame started. It still shut off after 4 secs. I'm starting to consider the control board but I don't want to blame that yet since It is the new one I just installed and it seems to do everything right. I thought I had proved out the safety loop and PS0303 commented that it probably not fire at all if that was the problem. So maybe the water bypass flow is an issue. I do hear some sort of muffled tinkling noise in the flow but I don't know of any sensor on the water flow through the heat exchanger. How about the gas valve? Could the gas valve shut down by itself without being directed by the control board?

Service Tech then Lead Tech came onsite but no fix. Lead tech took the hood off and inspected the heat exchanger. It looked OK to me but he says the flame may be starved for oxygen and is flaming out. So as was predicted here previously, he is suggesting that I replace the 14 year old unit. I'm running out of options to extend the life of this heater. Prior to the service call, I jumped the gas valve open when the flame came on. It stayed lit for some more seconds but then it seemed like the flame went all yellow and then out so maybe the oxygen theory has credence. I'm stuck with about $580 sunk so far including a parts basket I just picked up. Any ideas? Reasoned or off-the-wall even!

I hate to say it, I would probably agree with the guy that came out. Besides some parts for this unit are not readily available. Bite the bullet and invest into a new heater.

Yea. I have to agree. I'm giving it up on this unit. Unofficial quotes for replacement (Installed) H400 - $3800, H250 - $3000, Electric $1200 + 60 amp run (up to $900). I'm only going to heat the Spa because I have never had desire or need to heat the pool. Before I go new, one more try. I just picked up a used H250PED2 (2008) very reasonable so I'll give it go.

The ED2 units were far better than the ID units ever were. If and when this new/used unit craps out, do NOT get one of the FD Hayward's. You'll be sorry.

Why do you think you need to add more electrical service for a new heater? Unless installing a heat pump, you should be OK with what you have already at the equipment pad.

Thanks. When looking at an Electric Spa Heater, I'm led to believe it needs a dedicated 60 Amp circuit. I have two-30 amps and a 15 going to the pools equipment platform.
Anyway, I picked up a H250PED2 and installed it over the weekend. The Spa heated from 90 to 104 in 50 minutes. I can live with that. After 3 months and about $800 in expense in failed effort to revive the H400IDPL I had the H250 installed in 30 hours including pickup for $300 including a hand truck to move to my equipment platform in the back property desert and incidentals. It definitely needs some tidying up on the Electric and PVC. The electric feed is too short now and I have it temporarily spliced and my PVC skills are lacking as I had to extend the Spa PVC feed and return by 5 inches and now both are leaking. But it works! Anyone need any H400IDPL parts? I have a new Control board, a new 240V Blower and an old 240V Blower that works fine along with a box of assorted switches and sensors. Thanks for the help. I learnt enough trying to fix the old unit that I was able to install the replacement.

How big is your spa? A normal 6 person spa should heat in about 30 minutes with that heater. I would expect that from a 200K BTU unit, not a 250K BTU unit. Are you sure you had the spa isolated and there was no spilling over into the pool? It shouldn't take that long to heat a spa.

Electric spa heater? Gas is the way to go to heat a spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I calculate 148 Cu Ft for 1,108 gallons. Manual indicates 77 min to raise 1000 gals 30 deg. So that would be about 84 min for 1108 gals. I timed 50 min for 15 deg so it is not that far off. I was watching the Olympics also. I'll time it again another time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.