Hayward H200FD Heater "IF" Code on initial set up...

Aug 24, 2018
Clinton TN
First off, I'm glad I discovered this forum, it helped me to quickly resolve the "LO" code that I first got on initial set up.

This is a NEW heater, paid a gas company to run the gas lines. They poured over the install manual and confirmed that my set up met the required specs, etc...

After reading around the forum on a H400FD unit that gave the "IF" code it seems several reported finding spider webs in the orficies of the manifold so I quickly checked those and they are look spotless. The way you would expect a new unit to look.

On startup the unit goes through the described processes of the blower running, the ignitor glowing (as seen observed through the sight glass), then the gas being called for, slight smell of gas coming from the vents, and attempt to light that last about 4 seconds, but nothing happens.... It cycles through the 3 attempts then shows the "IF" code...

This is a NEW unit and the ignitor seemed to be doing it's job...

The pool is 18' AGP... Hayward Pump.... ETC

The heater is installed on the ground, tanks next to the heater....

On a related note, I plumbed in a bypass (as the Hayward reviews were very specific to point out the companies lack of warranty if the pool was not properly balanced) and also added a check-valve to prevent back flow (as per another review for the heater unit). I've got all of these solid PVC Connections but the check-valve was screwed in using a proper amount of PVC Tape but I've got slow drips on both connections of the check-valve. And the trouble is that if I tighten one side of the check-valve it will loosen the other side... So, is there a good method for stopping the drip? More PVC Tape then perhaps another type of tape? PVC Glue? Silicone? Etc?

Sounds like a propane unit since you have "tanks" by the heater. Is there a regulator new the heater or on the tanks? Have you had the gas company back to confirm that you have the proper amount of gas flowing to the unit and it is not under or over the required setting?

As for the check valve, I am guessing you have the type which has the screw on collars/unions that are glued onto the PVC. If so, you do not need any PVC/Teflon tape at all. Maybe a picture might also help show us what you are talking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.