Hayward Goldline Pro Logic Control

TAMC93

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 25, 2013
Central Texas
Thank you in advance for any guidance. Thankfully my pool has largely been "trouble free" due to this forum, but 10 years of operation are starting to take its toll. Issues that I am seeing are as follows and trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot:
  1. Recently started having the primary pump "short cycle" and automatically turn off when running manual (after about 30 minutes). Secondary pump will run in manual with no issues.
  2. SWG (T-15) says there is no flow, so it is not working. It is also several years old, so probably needs to be replaced anyways.
  3. The heater is also being called to turn on even though it is set to manual. At this time, I turned off the heater.
Since there are multiple issues, it sound like the control panel is going out. Thoughts?

All those problems sound external to the ProLogic board.

The SWG has an external flow switch in a T in your plumbing. They often fail. Easy to unscrew it from the T and replace it.

Pump short cycling sounds like the pump motor is overheating. What pump model?

How is the heater set to manual?

All those problems sound external to the ProLogic board.

The SWG has an external flow switch in a T in your plumbing. They often fail. Easy to unscrew it from the T and replace it.

Pump short cycling sounds like the pump motor is overheating. What pump model?

How is the heater set to manual?
Thank you for the response and ideas.
  • The SWG has an external flow switch in a T in your plumbing. They often fail. Easy to unscrew it from the T and replace it.
    • I will check tomorrow with day light. I would not be surprised that the cell went out after this summer's heat and its age. I was planning on replacing before next season, but just now now.
  • Pump short cycling sounds like the pump motor is overheating. What pump model?
    • A.O. Smith B2840 2.5HP 230V Pool Pump Motor

• Replaced a couple of years ago. Just odd everything is happening at the same time (also ignore the bold text...cannot get it cleaned up)​

• How is the heater set to manual?
    • ProLogic Board is programmed to both be off for Pool and Spa. So in theory, it should not call for heat. The only way it does not come on right now is when I turn the power off at the heater.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

• Pump short cycling sounds like the pump motor is overheating. What pump model?
    • A.O. Smith B2840 2.5HP 230V Pool Pump Motor

• Replaced a couple of years ago. Just odd everything is happening at the same time (also ignore the bold text...cannot get it cleaned up)​

When the pump shuts down check the voltage at LOAD2 and LOAD4 screws on the relay. If it is 240V then the problem is in the pump motor.

How long after it shuts down does it take to restart?

Put your hand on the motor and see how hot it is when it shuts down. Most pump motors are thermostatically protected and will shut down when they overheat.

• How is the heater set to manual?
    • ProLogic Board is programmed to both be off for Pool and Spa. So in theory, it should not call for heat. The only way it does not come on right now is when I turn the power off at the heater.

Disconnect the firemans switch 2 wire cable between the heater and Prologic board. If the heater then no longer runs the problem is in the cable being shorted or the heater relay on the board fused closed.

Check the cable for signs of critters chewing on it.

Use the continuity test on your multimeter and see if the heater relay on the Prologic board opens and closes when you are not calling for heat or calling for heat.

Update 1: Bypassing the flow sensor worked when ran in manual. I need to confirm that it is running the full filtration cycle later tonight.

Pulled the sensor to check for obvious debris etc and found part of a check valve that was recently added when the replaced the heater. Cleared and unplugged. Test still showed no flow in the sensor. New sensor and check valve on order.

One problem at a time. Heater will probably be a Friday afternoon or weekend project.

Updates from several weeks ago:

1. Recently started having the primary pump "short cycle" and automatically turn off when running manual (after about 30 minutes). Secondary pump will run in manual with no issues.
    1. Resolution - Flow Sensor as noted above.
  2. SWG (T-15) says there is no flow, so it is not working. It is also several years old, so probably needs to be replaced anyways.
    1. Partial Resolution - Flow Sensor as noted above. In the process of replacing the SWG since it is not in low salt and several years old. Will clean and try to use a backup.
  3. The heater is also being called to turn on even though it is set to manual. At this time, I turned off the heater.
    1. Resolution - Programming issue. Was set to turn on with the pool on the heater itself which was in conflict with the controller.