Jul 10, 2011
I have a Hayward ProLogic System. Recently had a heat pump installed, heat and cool. Pool is a "standard" Pool / Spa configuration, with a Gas Heater parallel to the Heat Pump...with the huge added complication that this is an infinity edge pool, with the pump suction coming from the basin in pool mode (I know...why????). Heat pump is plumbed to send a portion of the pump output to the Heat Pump, then it returns to the Pool return, DOWNSTREAM of the Pool / Spa valve. There is an auto Valve (Valve 3) which diverts a portion of the pump output to the heat pump. In Pool Mode, everything works great. In Spa Mode, I have to "manually", through the control panel, close Valve 3...otherwise, the spa will eventually drain as water is being pulled from the spa drain, and a portion of the pump output goes to the pool rather than the spa, which then flows over the infinity edge and eventually flooding the basin. But I'm OK with manually closing valve 3 when I want to heat the spa, although automating this would be nice!

The problem occurs when the system goes into Freeze Protect mode. I'm not there to switch Valve 3, so Valve 3 is not switched back and forth with the Pool/Spa valves, so when the system switches the valves to spa mode, the spa drains. Is there a way, such as Group, or Interlock, or External Input, to have Valve 3 switch EVERYTIME the Pool/Spa valves switch? (I do not want to just close Valve 3 in Freeze Protect mode (if that were even possible) because then the Heat Pump would not have flow to protect it!) Could I just rewire Valve 3 to be turned by the Pool / Spa relay? I would assume that if we can figure out a way to do this in freeze protect mode, that it would also automate the regular Spa Mode. My alternative is to replumb the outlet of the heat pump to the spa side, but I can see weird things happening with temperatures in the spa if I do that...

TIA!

Valve 3 into interlock and it will only be on when the controller is in pool mode or do you want the valve on when in spillover too?