Hayward Equipment Opinions

They are fine except for the Ecostar pumps which have a lot of drives failing. Get a Tristar pump.

Reactions: tstex
obi,

Pool builders use what they can get the best deal on, not necessary what is the best equipment..

As far as I know all three of the big guys, Pentair, Jandy and Hayward, all have three year warranties when several items of equipment are purchased at the same time.

And while I always say that all three of them are equal... if I were to build another 100 pools, they would all have Pentair equipment.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Obi,

I was trying to say I like it better... I have three almost identical set ups... IntelliFlo pump, IC40 SWCG, EasyTouch automation... Other than a lightning strike to one system, which was repaired under warranty by Pentair, the systems have run flawlessly.. Once I find a product that I like, I tend to stick with it.

Before converting to Pentair I had two Hayward Super pump failures... Not a fair comparison, I agree, but I can't see me ever buying a Hayward pump of any kind again.

Most people, like me, tend to like what they have and what works for them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thats not a fair comparison at all. You’ve compared a corolla to a Porsche.

I will give my two cents.

Hayward offers builders and pool stores incentives and or points towards trips. Hayward filters are similar most out there, but are not the quality f Pentair. Hayward’s aquarite is still the #1 selling salt system in the US. Hayward returns and skimmers are easily the most used.

Pumps, I’ve sold thousands. Superpumps are good entry level single speed pumps, similar to Pentair single speeds. Yes, they break down but I’ve seen both break down.

Variable speed pumps are another matter. Hayward VS pumps will not allow users to use speeds below 600 rpm. Pentair will.

Pentair was the first to market a VS pump and yes, they are the leader imo in vs technology. Hayward is making in roads, but they aren’t there yet.

I do not sell from an incentive point of view, but here is what I will put on my next pool.

Hayward Aquarite
Hayward sand filter, or a Pentair Cartridge filter
Pentair VS pump
Hayward heat pump

Thats not a fair comparison at all. You’ve compared a corolla to a Porsche.

I will give my two cents.

Hayward offers builders and pool stores incentives and or points towards trips. Hayward filters are similar most out there, but are not the quality f Pentair. Hayward’s aquarite is still the #1 selling salt system in the US. Hayward returns and skimmers are easily the most used.

Pumps, I’ve sold thousands. Superpumps are good entry level single speed pumps, similar to Pentair single speeds. Yes, they break down but I’ve seen both break down.

Variable speed pumps are another matter. Hayward VS pumps will not allow users to use speeds below 600 rpm. Pentair will.

Pentair was the first to market a VS pump and yes, they are the leader imo in vs technology. Hayward is making in roads, but they aren’t there yet.

I do not sell from an incentive point of view, but here is what I will put on my next pool.

Hayward Aquarite
Hayward sand filter, or a Pentair Cartridge filter
Pentair VS pump
Hayward heat pump

PM, what makes the pentair cartridge filter better than the hayward. I 1000% agree w you on VSP's.

Thanks, tstex

Last edited:
In the vein that past performance doesn’t predict the future and I admit no expertise on the matter - my Hayward superpump was installed before I moved into my house in 2004. It runs 24/7 from June to October and not one failure in 15 years. Knock on gunnite that it continues humming for another 15! Just bragging!

My ‘new’ house’s pool pad has main components of original Hayward equipment, but has replacement Pentair VS pump and automation. Of my experience, I’ve had a smattering of both, and I always prefer Pentair as the de facto quality pool preference for most stuff. I remember American Products and Pentair bought them out. I will say, building a pool I’ll have a Pentair Pump, automation, Filter, SWCG, lights, then Jandy valves, & a Raypak heater. Hayward isn’t a preferred component of those, though my first VS Pump was a Tristar, and I was very fond of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.