Hayward Ecostar SP3400VSP controller compatibility

Sep 29, 2015
Las vegas nv
I was wondering if anybody happens to know compatibility of the controller for my SP3400VSP.

Last night my pump quit working and started tripping the breaker. At first I reset the breaker and the pump turned on for about 3 seconds then tripped the breaker again. I disconnected the wiring going into the pump to check that first and the breaker didn't trip. After verifying the motor turns by hand freely I disconnected the motor from the control board and the breaker tripped right away leading me to believe the fault lies in the control board.

There is a lot of information regarding faulty control boards giving drive errors and tripping breakers about replacing some type of chip on the board but couldn't find anything locally so decided to shop for new controller. I found the Hayward SPX3400DR Ecostar Drive Controller that says it is for SP3400VSP pumps so I went ahead and ordered one last night.

This morning I removed the drive controller and opened it up. Inside there is a model number SP3200DR, this had me curious and trying to find out compatibility but I'm having a hard time being sure about it as the only thing I came across is some expired Ebay listings showing both model numbers. They look identical but I'm still to 100%. I'm going to try and call the supply place tomorrow or Hayward but I very well may be overlooking some simple site that has a parts breakdown with part numbers.

Thans in advance for any insight

Last edited:
Testing the motor windings of pump show 1 ohm resistance between black and blue leads, black and red, red and blue. Open circuit between the three leads and body of pump. Some information says 1 ohm resistance is good ad others say 5-7 ohms. curious if anybody has checked resistance through their pump motor windings for comparison.

My Hayward Sp3200DR motor also "stalled". took the drive off and checked resisitivity between all of the 3 motor leads against each other and the all registered 0 (zero); next tested each lead individually against a ground and all registered 1 (one) or no change. Does this mean the motor is dead? or it it my drive?

Pump is 4 years and 4 months old. I'll only change the drive if I can get at lest another 2 more years out of this motor. Comments? thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.