Hayward DE4820 Filter very low pressure reading & VariFlo Multiport Valve water leak

Lei Mend

Jun 4, 2020
Virginia
Hi, we installed brand new Hayward Pump, DE Filter, Multiport valve, 2 inch PVC pipes to replace our very old Waterway pump and PAC FAB DE filter. While this is our 4th season as pool owners, I would still consider ourselves newbies because this is our first year of doing everything by ourselves.

I'd like to ask for opinions from experienced pool owners if my observations are normal or there could be a defect.

Hayward VariFlo Multiport Valve (SP0715XR50)
Observation:
Water comes out of the WASTE port while turning the handle from one position to another even when the pump is OFF. For example, FILTER to CLOSED position. BACKWASH to RINSE position.
Water comes out of the WASTE port when the valve is on RECIRCULATE position even when the pump is OFF.

Please note that we turn the handle to one direction only which is CLOCKWISE. So, I am 100% sure that we haven't done anything to damage the valve after installation.
Is this normal or a defect in the valve?

Hayward ProGrid Vertical D.E. Filter (DE4820)
Observation:
Very low pressure reading (only 1 or 2 psi) when pump is on low speed while the pressure reading is 10 psi when pump is on high speed.
We put 6lbs of DE filter powder on initial start up as stated in the manual. The pump we are using is a new Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump 1.5HP Dual Speed (W3SP15932S). I am 100% sure that there are no blockages on the skimmer to pump to filter line. Both the skimmer and pump strainer baskets are free of debris. Our pool water is clear and water flow to the pool is okay too. We only have 1 skimmer and 1 return. I don't see any bubbles on pump lid. All the pvc pipe connections are glued properly and there are no visible leaks on the union connections.

Is this normal or an issue due to the possible defect in the multi-port valve?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I would say your filter pressure is fine. It's very similar to my pressure readings as well when on low or high. But the multiport valve (MPV) doesn't sound so good. It sounds like there's a problem with the spider gasket - perhaps pinched? While I can imagine a tiny amount of water seeping-out of each port when changing settings due to pressure in the system (pump always off of course), it should not just leak continuously out of waste unless you have it set to waste. If you're up to the task, you can unscrew the top of the MPV taking careful note of how it goes back on. Inspect the spider gasket for any deformities and perhaps apply a little silicone lube on its surfaces to ensure it's not getting pinched under the handle top.

Reactions: Lei Mend
I’m glad to hear that the low filter pressure reading is normal. I was really worried about it.

Since the valve is brand new and under warranty, I will contact the seller and see if they could fix it for me or give me a replacement. Water was really gushing out of the Waste port every time I change the position.

thank you for your kind response

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.