Hayward DE filter pressure drop

Steelydanfan

Bronze Supporter
Jan 22, 2017
Houston
Hi, New to the forum, I had an existing pool renovated with all new equipment, lines, everything . All new. All was well for 1 1/2 years, no real hiccups until recently. The Hayward DE filter pressure has recently dropped to about 10 psi, it was normally around 20 psi. I backwashed the De filter , replaced the DE, etc. I used the air relief valve, etc. The Hayward pump is not variable, it has always moved the water around well until recently. Everything is running , no abnormal sounds, just low filter pressure and not as much water circulation as before.

I guess the impeller could not be doing it's job now, but everything sounds normal.

It has been about 7 months since I disassembled the DE filter and water hosed it, but the filter pressure never got high enough, today I backwashed and no change in water circulation, not what I expected.

All Hayward equipment, professionally installed, working very well until recently. I should mention that we had a hard freeze in Houston recently, I ran the pool equipment continuously in "recirculation ," but not filter. The temp dipped into the mix 20's for about 14 hours.

After the freeze, we have a lot of dead leaves in our pool, I have been cleaning ing the skimmer daily, I skipped a day or two, the leaves clogged the skimmer, the circulation went down because of that. I fixed that problem, have stayed on top of it, but now the low filter pressure, something I have not encountered before.

Any ideas ? Thanks !

Steely,

Sounds to me like you either have a suction side air leak or a clogged line coming from your skimmer..

So a couple of questions for you:

1. When you look through the pump's lid, when running, what do you see. Is it full of water or is there a lot of air under the lid?
2. Have you cleaned the basket that is under the pump's lid? Could it be full of leaves?
3. Do you have valves in front of the pump? If so, can you turn off the skimmer and turn on just the main drain? If so, how does the pressure look?

Without knowing more I can only recommend two things..

First, take the pump lid off and make sure the O-Ring is ok and has a fresh coat of pool lube.

Second, with the pump lid off, you can stick a garden hose into the port the water comes into the pump and try to back flush any leaves backwards into the skimmer.

Thanks for posting and keep us up to date.

Oh! And welcome to TFP.. A Great place for all your pool questions...

Jim R.

Hi, New to the forum, I had an existing pool renovated with all new equipment, lines, everything . All new. All was well for 1 1/2 years, no real hiccups until recently. The Hayward DE filter pressure has recently dropped to about 10 psi, it was normally around 20 psi. I backwashed the De filter , replaced the DE, etc. I used the air relief valve, etc. The Hayward pump is not variable, it has always moved the water around well until recently. Everything is running , no abnormal sounds, just low filter pressure and not as much water circulation as before.

I guess the impeller could not be doing it's job now, but everything sounds normal.

It has been about 7 months since I disassembled the DE filter and water hosed it, but the filter pressure never got high enough, today I backwashed and no change in water circulation, not what I expected.

All Hayward equipment, professionally installed, working very well until recently. I should mention that we had a hard freeze in Houston recently, I ran the pool equipment continuously in "recirculation ," but not filter. The temp dipped into the mix 20's for about 14 hours.

After the freeze, we have a lot of dead leaves in our pool, I have been cleaning ing the skimmer daily, I skipped a day or two, the leaves clogged the skimmer, the circulation went down because of that. I fixed that problem, have stayed on top of it, but now the low filter pressure, something I have not encountered before.

Any ideas ? Thanks !

I had something very similar happen to my pool in Tennessee in the fall. I missed a few days of cleaning my skimmers when leaves were falling heavy, and I didn't think much of it. But I started to notice that my pump didn't appear to be pushing water as much as before. I thought maybe I got a stick stuck in my suction lines and some leaves got up against it and were blocking it? I did a bunch of things trying to get the supposed clog out, but in the end, it was just a bunch of leaves that had gotten stuck in the impeller. It might be possible to fish around in there with your hand or a coat hanger or something depending on the size of your pump and the opening, but I just ended up popping off the bolts on mine so I could take a look at it and give it a good cleaning. Everything worked like new as soon as I got it put back together. I'd bet money there's some trash around your impeller.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.