Hayward DE Filter EC75 Cleaning

Pooler-Bear

Jun 28, 2019
New York
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hi Everyone,
We just closed the pool and disconnected all the equipment, I prefer to store them in the shed. Is there any problem storing in the shed?
I opened up the DE filter (just unscrewed the bolts on top and lifted it) this is what it looks like. I spray washed it, rinsed inside the tank, and put it back, but I don't think it's completely clean. Do I just keep washing it daily until all the algae is gone and DE residue disappears from the top? Do I need to disassemble any further or soak it somewhere? How about drying up, will it dry if I leave it outside or even when I store it for the winter do I need to do anything?

1667141255843.png

1667141394016.png

1667141400285.png

I have had a Hayward EC-50 filter for over 45 years. Replaced quite a few things over the years but I love it. I live on Long Island NY and this is what I do when I close the pool. First back flush it for a bit, then I close the pool, plug the skimmer with the "gizmo" skimmer plug. plug the pool outflow port. Remove all hoses, drain the filter. Then I take the cover off the filter tank, hose all the Crud off the filter fingers and tank, re-assemble the tank, leave the drain valve open and cover the whole filter pump assembly with a frostking central a/c cover and leave it on the platform next to the pool. Been doing this for over 45 years with no problem.

I have had a Hayward EC-50 filter for over 45 years. Replaced quite a few things over the years but I love it. I live on Long Island NY and this is what I do when I close the pool. First back flush it for a bit, then I close the pool, plug the skimmer with the "gizmo" skimmer plug. plug the pool outflow port. Remove all hoses, drain the filter. Then I take the cover off the filter tank, hose all the Crud off the filter fingers and tank, re-assemble the tank, leave the drain valve open and cover the whole filter pump assembly with a frostking central a/c cover and leave it on the platform next to the pool. Been doing this for over 45 years with no problem.
Checking in also from LI / 631. 🙋‍♂️ Will be my first winter in the suburbs. Got the pool covered, pump dropped in the middle, hose into the woods. I keep it unplugged and go out and plug it if there is too much water, do you suggest something else? I seem to be having problem directing the water to the middle, sometimes I have 2-3 puddles I have to push with skimmer so they can be pumped. Should I put like a 2x4in there so water can go towards pump?

I think EC50 is same as EC75 just a bit smaller, also uses finger style filters. When you take the top off, how does yours look? I was surprised mine had so much algae, but then again I was told that based on what we were seeing in the pool, that algae might be surviving in the filter and making way back to pool. Anyway, we've done most of what you suggested, also gizmo in the skimmer (I only have 1 skimmer and only 2 supplies/jets).
I plan to put mine in the shed after I give it another wash, but I did notice some DE caked up in the middle, and I don't want to mess up the fingers/rip them, I heard that can be an expensive mistake. Have you ever had to replace any of the filters in yours? In your case was it as bad as mine, or is mine especially bad because of the algae?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and I assume you put the bolts back on fully, right? Do you put any lube anywhere before you put it back together?

Checking in also from LI / 631. 🙋‍♂️ Will be my first winter in the suburbs. Got the pool covered, pump dropped in the middle, hose into the woods. I keep it unplugged and go out and plug it if there is too much water, do you suggest something else? I seem to be having problem directing the water to the middle, sometimes I have 2-3 puddles I have to push with skimmer so they can be pumped. Should I put like a 2x4in there so water can go towards pump?

I think EC50 is same as EC75 just a bit smaller, also uses finger style filters. When you take the top off, how does yours look? I was surprised mine had so much algae, but then again I was told that based on what we were seeing in the pool, that algae might be surviving in the filter and making way back to pool. Anyway, we've done most of what you suggested, also gizmo in the skimmer (I only have 1 skimmer and only 2 supplies/jets).
I plan to put mine in the shed after I give it another wash, but I did notice some DE caked up in the middle, and I don't want to mess up the fingers/rip them, I heard that can be an expensive mistake. Have you ever had to replace any of the filters in yours? In your case was it as bad as mine, or is mine especially bad because of the algae?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh and I assume you put the bolts back on fully, right? Do you put any lube anywhere before you put it back together?
My filter uses a big clamp instead of bolts. Never had any algae in mine, perhaps your chlorine level was not high enough. When I clean it, I turn it upside down on a bucket so the fingers are pointing up and I spray it with the hose nozzle set on full and get rid of all the earth. The fingers are pretty tough and I never had a problem with destroying any of them. You could use some o-ring lube on the big o-ring that fits in the cover groove and on the shaft o-rings as well.

Reactions: Pooler-Bear
Thanks, mine won't fit in t a bucket, it's pretty big. Thanks for the suggestion, I see the clamp on yours now, otherwise similar. You don't remove it from the bump handle, right you keep the top intact?
Maybe I'll put mine in big garbage can and spray it there or prop it up with two or three buckets.
Do you have to make sure it's completely dry before putting back in and storing it?

Yes, I think my chlorine feeder was not feeding proper amount of chlorine and i had spikes and drops which may have caused it. I'll be more careful next year and I'll definitely shock more frequently and will have a floater in there permenantly.

Thanks, mine won't fit in t a bucket, it's pretty big. Thanks for the suggestion, I see the clamp on yours now, otherwise similar. You don't remove it from the bump handle, right you keep the top intact?
Maybe I'll put mine in big garbage can and spray it there or prop it up with two or three buckets.
Do you have to make sure it's completely dry before putting back in and storing it?

Yes, I think my chlorine feeder was not feeding proper amount of chlorine and i had spikes and drops which may have caused it. I'll be more careful next year and I'll definitely shock more frequently and will have a floater in there permenantly.
I remove the bump handle and take off the top. Much easier to clean when you have just the fingers and the holders that they are connected to. I put everything back together without drying. No problem as long as all the water is drained from the tank and the drain valve is open.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.