Hayward Automation Control going dead and coming back on sporadically!

Hello all,

I'm posting because for the last week, my Hayward Goldline Aqua plus controller has gone dead and then started working again. It appears that after a rain the controller is dead, when things dry out or later on in the day the pool starts working again. Thought it might be ants sprayed some ant killer around the box, but still dead after a rain. I thought maybe the board was fried, but if that was the case would it go on and off like that? We tested the box with a volt meter per Hayward's instructions, appears the main board is getting power, but that the connection to the display was not when it wasn't working. That is what led us to believe it was the main board being fried. A bit confused at this point, called Hayward, controller is just a bit over warranty period so don't know if they'll cover this, but then again, not sure it is even the board at this point!

Thanks for the input in advance!

2nd request help with Hayward Automation controller!!!

Hello all,

I'm posting because for two weeks, my Hayward Goldline Aqua plus controller has gone dead and then started working again. The trigger for this event is rain. It does not happen right away and is usually sometime during the night with rain. When its sunny, everything pops on and works as it should. The GFCI outlet that was installed with the box has power and all breakers are in the on position. We thought it may be a bad board, but after talking with Hayward they said when a board is fried it usually doesn't come back on again?! I opened the box and pulled the board out and did not notice any obvious signs of solder points burned out. Thought it might be ants and sprayed some ant killer around the box, but still dead after a rain and have not seen any ants recently. We tested the box with a volt meter per Hayward's instructions, appears the main board is getting power, but that the connection to the display was not when it wasn't working. That is what led us to believe it was the main board being fried. A bit confused at this point, controller is just a bit over warranty period so don't know if they'll cover this, but then again, not sure it is even the board at this point!

Did notice that the box is hot where the transformer sits, don't know if this is normal?

Have not seen any signs of moisture in the controller box either, some suggested maybe a an electrical issue in the ground somewhere but wouldn't even know where to start! The breakers have never popped any of the times this has stopped working.

thanks!!

Re: 2nd request help with Hayward Automation controller!!!

Garrett,

Welcome to TFP... Normally a Great resource for all your pool questions, but not so much in your case... :cool:

I suspect that you did not get an answer to your initial question because no one had direct answer, as most of us are home/pool owners just like you and not in the pool industry..

I know nothing about your specific automation system, but have some background in electronics repair in general. Since your tests showed no power to the display when bad, I would focus on that area.

I "assume" the display plugs into the main circuit card... I would remove the display and spray both the display side of the mating connector as well as the same connector on the main card with contact cleaner.

In the old days you would just go to Radio Shack and buy it, not sure where you would go today.. An auto parts store or on line I guess...

I suspect that you have some corrosion on the contacts of that matting connector.

Please let us know what eventually fixes your problem as it could help others with the same issue later.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.