Hayward astrolight pool light fixture. Ok to leave out for 2 days?

Jan 4, 2017
matawan NJ
Hi, so my 500 watt bulb blew and today I took the assembly out and apart to see the bulb so I can replace with the same one. No one local has them in stock, so I ordered from amazon and will be here in 2 days. Is it ok to leave everything out (the breaker is off) for the next 2 days? I assume it's ok, cause water does get in there normally, no? I added pics to better explain what I mean. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    740.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1999.JPG
    IMG_1999.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes, ok to leave the pool light out on the deck for however long the repair takes.

Reactions: vig1116
Hi, so my 500 watt bulb blew and today I took the assembly out and apart to see the bulb so I can replace with the same one. No one local has them in stock, so I ordered from amazon and will be here in 2 days. Is it ok to leave everything out (the breaker is off) for the next 2 days? I assume it's ok, cause water does get in there normally, no? I added pics to better explain what I mean. Thank you!!!
Be sure to replace the lens gasket when you install the new bulb. Those lights get very hot, even underwater, and the gasket becomes less pliable and will likely leak if re-used.

Those lights get very hot, even underwater, …

To that point , when you replace the bulb turn it on outside of the water for seconds as a functional test. Running the light outside of the water can quickly burn out a new bulb. The light uses the water to cool it.

To that point , when you replace the bulb turn it on outside of the water for seconds as a functional test. Running the light outside of the water can quickly burn out a new bulb. The light uses the water to cool it.
I always use a bucket of water after resealing the light. Put it into the bucket with the light off and look for bubbles indicating a leak. If none, turn it on while in the bucket and look for bubbles. As the fixture heats a leak can develop that isn't there when cold. Only takes a couple of minutes. DO NOT turn the light on with the lamp assembled as it can literally explode, sending glass everywhere. A 500w bulb generates a lot of heat very quickly.

Reactions: ajw22 and vig1116
Thanks for everyones input. Light came yesterday, seal came today, and all done and working! Hopefully all the problems were due to a blown bulb and not a short somewhere. $15 bulb, $22 seal, and DIY is never a bad thing!! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.