Hayward Aqua-Plus GLX-CELL-5 Not Creating Chlorine

mpride

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2008
Sugar Land Texas
Recently my SWCG stopped producing chlorine. It’s less than a year old so I thought maybe it was dirty so I cleaned it although it looked very clean. I put it back in the system and it still didn't work. I then decided to clean it with an mild acid wash. Still no change. At that point I decided it must be bad so I purchased another one. Guess what? Same issue. Soooooo, I then thought maybe I would reset the system by cutting power to the system for a few minutes and then powering back on. Still no change.

What would be my next step with this? Is my control panel having issues?

Current salt reading: 3360ppm
Errors: ‘Chlorinator off Test Salt Cell', 'Check System Very Low Salt'

Reverse polarity and see if the readings change.

If not, unplug the cell to see if the plug is burned.
The plug isn't burned on either of the 2 SWCG's. I'm not sure how to reverse the polarity. I believe you press the + or - button when in the Chlorinator Diagnostic menu correct? I can't actually view anything but an error when I try to look at that menu. Is there anyway to get around this?

Have you done an independent salt test?

Turn the percentage to zero and make sure that superchlorinate is off. Wait 1 minute and then turn on superchlorinate and recheck the readings.

Have you done an independent salt test?

Turn the percentage to zero and make sure that superchlorinate is off. Wait 1 minute and then turn on superchlorinate and recheck the readings.
After doing that it looks like the Chlorinator is working. I was able to get to the Chlorinator Diagnostics and Instant Salt menus. Its showing 0000 PPM Salt at the moment. I was able to changed polarity so I did that. I guess Ill let it run to see if it begins to register any salt. I hope it works.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect that it's probably a problem with the power supply. It should be under warranty. You should not have bought a new cell because you have a 3 year warranty on everything. File a warranty claim with your builder and let them figure it out.

I suspect that it's probably a problem with the power supply. It should be under warranty. You should not have bought a new cell because you have a 3 year warranty on everything. File a warranty claim with your builder and let them figure it out.
My pool is probably 11 or 12 years old at this point. No warranty except for maybe the 2nd SWCG I just purchased.

In your first post, you said that the SWG was less than a year old?

Try turning it off and then back on and recheck diagnostic readings. Reverse polarity and recheck the readings.

Note amps, volts and salinity in both polarities.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.