hayward 400 heater thermistor

artd

Jun 7, 2008
new jersey
I'm getting the dreaded SF code. My research indicates it's the thermistor. My question, admittedly a dumb one, is where is this located when facing the heater from the front? Do I remove the front display panel, other panels? I am doing a DIY but before I start breaking this thing down I would like to know a specific location. The net search hasn't led to a install video or pics that aids me to say where it's located. thanks for any help.

According to my installation service manual for the H400FD heater on page 48

The thermistor monitors the return water temperature. See Figure 47. To replace the thermistor:
1. Turn pump, gas supply, and heater power “OFF”.
2. Drain the heat exchanger of all water.
3. Remove the front access panel. It is secured with (4) screws
4. Remove the control box cover. It is secured with (2) screws.
5. Unplug the thermistor connector from the ignition control board.
6. From outside the heater, pull the thermistor leads out of the control box and through the hole in the
heater chassis.
7. Unscrew the thermistor from the inlet side of the header.
8. Replace the thermistor. Use new sealant on the thermistor threads before re-installing. Reverse steps
1 – 7 to complete the procedure.

Ok thermistor replaced, worked for 15 min following repair. Just fired up spa for daughter and friend to use and heater is back to not working condition showing the SF code error. Is there another piece to replace that would cause this? thx for any input.

SF only relates to the temp sensor. Your control board could be going and that is why you are getting this error code.

Did you buy a Hayward sensor or a knock off?

You could just have a bad sensor, there are actually two thermistors inside the sensor, this is from the maintenance manual

Code SF
Thermistor error
An excessive temperature difference between the two thermistors (5 °F or more)
or an “out of bounds” condition on both sensors (less than 10°F or greater than
180°F) will result in the error code. Automatic restart is 2 minutes after the error
is corrected.

I also found a troubleshooting diagnostic guide for the heaters

https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UHSDiagnostics.pdf

and on page 35, step 2 it tells you how to measure the sensor for the two thermistors.

I would think using a digital meter would give you more accurate readings for comparison between the two thermistors than an analog meter

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If after you measure the resistance on the the new thermistor and if you find it to be OK, then I would have to say the ICG board is probably the problem. It does happen to get a bad thermistor but rare. I have seen on these Hayward FD units that the board can go and present you with various error codes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.