Hayward 244T Leak

Mar 18, 2015
Safety Harbor, FL
Hi --

So, my 2009 Hayward S244T developed a bit of a leak where the Vari-Flo top meets the top of the tank, and you use the clamps to seal it.

I needed filter media replacement anyway, so I took off the Vari-Flo top off to replace the sand with Blü Filter Balls, and added three unions on each of the three PVC pipes while I was at it. All of my unions work perfectly— zero leaks; but where the tank meets the Vari-Flo valve, it's still leaking when on "filter" mode. The pressure is a bit lower, due to the new media, and the fact that it's not yet dirty. I replaced the diverter with a brand new one yesterday. I also replaced the rubber "O" ring that goes on the Vari-Flo valve. The old blue one was worn out. It STILL leaks, right there where the clamps tighten. I literally cannot tighten them anymore than they are already.

I took the clamps back off, and put a silicon caulk around the entire joint. STILL leaks. All I can figure is I may have inadvertantly moved the tank when cleaning out the old sand, and now the top of the tank is just not flush with the bottom of the Vari-Flo valve... ?

Is there another type of gasket that will make a better seal? I'm at my wits end. I only use Hayward parts so that I know they fit properly, even though they cost more than the aftermarket stuff.

Thanks,
TJW

I'm not aware of any other "type" or O-ring to use at the collar area. I am concerned about the use of silicone versus pool lube. You may have a point about the tank moving every-so slightly which may be preventing an ideal, uniform snug fit around the entire collar.

I'm not aware of any other "type" or O-ring to use at the collar area. I am concerned about the use of silicone versus pool lube. You may have a point about the tank moving every-so slightly which may be preventing an ideal, uniform snug fit around the entire collar.
I did use Jack's lube on the new O-ring on the Vari-Flo. The silicone was just another line of 'insurance,' but now I've done some more digging, and it's possible I may have just tiniest of hairline cracks at that spot. I think I just have to bite the bullet and buy a whole new tank/valve unit, hook it up and be done with it. It really is quite literally ALWAYS something... ugh...

Thanks,
K

I noticed that if I put it on "backwash" or on "re-circulation," it doesn't leak at all. It only does it when in "filtration" setting. I just replaced the diverter with a brand new one (three days ago), thinking it might be that, so it has a brand diverter with a new gasket. All I can think is that 1) there's a hairline crack somewhere in that area, or 2) the lip of the tank is not properly flush with the bottom of the Vari-Flo XL control valve (SP0714T), even though I have the clamp as snug as it will go. My pressure levels are less than they were before I changed out the filter media (the leak is what prompted the media change that was way past due).

I'm going to dismantle it all again, and try once more to determine the issue. Fortunately, I was smart enough to put unions on each of the three pipes. If I still can't stop the leaking when it's on filtration, then it might be that tank is just bad in that spot. If that's the case, I may just need to go with an all new tank.

K

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.