hayward 1.5 hp pump smoking the power cable randomly? With timers

I have this combo from about 8 years ago or more maybe..

The 1.5hp pump, i have had the plug from the pump going into a 2 port outdoor timer, now two diff models.. both times the plug got melted and the gfi plugs reset as a result. (the plug on the pump sortof melted and the pump plug blackened)

I did notice yesterday as i wiggled the cable it seemed to shut off..

I looked inside at the 3 wires and i cant seem to pinpoint the issue or for that matter where they connect. I also cant seem to find a relevant video on the pump and wiring.

At this point i bought a new power cable and will try to figure out where the connection points are, hoping this fixes things.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening? For now i have it directly into the power outlet, no timer. Not sure if the timer is even the culprit since moving the wire did cause a fault, i think maybe grounding issue.

Post PICs of the pump, motor data plates, cable, and outlet.

I have this combo from about 8 years ago or more maybe..

The 1.5hp pump, i have had the plug from the pump going into a 2 port outdoor timer, now two diff models.. both times the plug got melted and the gfi plugs reset as a result. (the plug on the pump sortof melted and the pump plug blackened)

I did notice yesterday as i wiggled the cable it seemed to shut off..

I looked inside at the 3 wires and i cant seem to pinpoint the issue or for that matter where they connect. I also cant seem to find a relevant video on the pump and wiring.

At this point i bought a new power cable and will try to figure out where the connection points are, hoping this fixes things.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening? For now i have it directly into the power outlet, no timer. Not sure if the timer is even the culprit since moving the wire did cause a fault, i think maybe grounding issue.
Which time are you plugging the pump into. It needs to be able to handle a 20A load and the wiring needs to match. Christmas-tree timers won't work if that is what you have.
"Where there's smoke, there's fire" should be your guide. Something is overheating to the point of being dangerous to people, property, both.

Which time are you plugging the pump into. It needs to be able to handle a 20A load and the wiring needs to match. Christmas-tree timers won't work if that is what you have.
"Where there's smoke, there's fire" should be your guide. Something is overheating to the point of being dangerous to people, property, both.
It's a standard 2 outlet 15amp outdoor grounded timer off Amazon. In fact I dug around and didn't see anything 20 Amp out there. I power the intex salt water generator and the pump on it, I think it alone is 1.4amp

It's a standard 2 outlet 15amp outdoor grounded timer off Amazon. In fact I dug around and didn't see anything 20 Amp out there. I power the intex salt water generator and the pump on it, I think it alone is 1.4amp

You need to look at the amps (or watts) listed on the pump motor, not the SWG. You indicated that you have a 1.5hp pump. That alone could pull 10 amps. Add the 1.4 and you are over the rating of an appliance (timer) that the system is plugged into.
Intermatic P1131 is rated at 2400Watts (20A at 120V). It is a pool timer. If the outlet this would be plugged into is burned, it would need to be replaced with one rated at 20A also, even if you never load it completely. Max continuous load on a 20A circuit should be about 16A.
1716060735262.png

The timer being used is rated for a maximum 1/2 HP motor...

1716061193162.png