Having Trouble keeping CL and Lowering PH

GreenTerrorPool

Jan 4, 2017
PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL
New Pool about a month old getting ready to transfer over to my salt system soon. To big issues are i cant seem to keep CL in pool and the PH is always high even after muriatic acid is added. Here is some histroy on my Readings:

FC CC TC PH TA CH CYA
.02 NA NA 8.4 NA NA 28 1/24
11.5 .5 12 8.2 120 300 NA added 1 jug of CL and 1 of Muriatic Acid 1/24
add 3lbs of CYA 1/25
2.5 0 2.5 8.2 120 275 43 1/27
.5 1/30
7.5 0 7.5 8.4 120 300 45 1/31

Any thoughts or suggestions here. Thank you all

I will get good at this....I will get good at this!

Fresh plaster will always cause a heavy pH rise for a while. This is normal - stock up on acid!

The CL drop is a bigger concern. Have you performed an overnight chlorine loss test? Is the water crystal clear (assuming you're past the point where you're still brushing up fresh plaster dust)?

You ARE good it this! LOL

Here is what I want you to do when you get home today. Use Pool Math to see how much Muratic Acid it would take to get your PH down to 7.8 and add it. Let the pump run for 30 mins or so and retest your PH. IF it is not at 7.8 add some more M. acid. Keep doing this until you see the PH at 7.8. Your PH might be higher than you thought.

The next time you post your numbers can you post them like this please?

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

It is easier for these old eyes to see :roll: THANKS!

Kim:kim:

Does your ph test go to 6.8? And is it definitely 7.0 and not 6.8? The pH test can read 7.0 even if the PH is much lower than that. Same for the high end of the scale. PH below 7.0 is very corrosive and can cause damage. I would be inclined to aerate a bit to speed the pH rise and get it up to 7.2. What did PoolMath say a whole jug would take the pH down to?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GreenTerrorPool, even when your pH is on the high side you need to run your water features daily for a short period so that you aren't letting stagnant water sit in those pipes. You want to expose all the pipes to some chlorine daily.

Yip :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.