Having Gas Line Run?

ny2nc

Bronze Supporter
Dec 19, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Hi folks, We are investigating a gas pool heater for our pool. We have a gas line to our home as we have a gas fireplace, water heater, etc....but we would have to get a line run to the pool equipment. Has anyone done this? If so, can anyone give me a ballpark of the cost or cost of labor to have it run?

I believe ours will have to be run from the far side of our house through the crawlspace and out to the pool equipment pad...but obviously I won't know for sure until we get someone out here. I have appointments for estimates next week, but a ballpark figure would be great so I don't faint from shock right on the spot! :p

Thanks Pool Veterans! :D

No idea in your area, prices are regional. We ran 150' of 2" gas line to the pool equipment with tee to a 1-1/2" line for the BBQ and fire pit. Cost was $12 per ft plus an upgraded gas meter. Check with your gas company as your meter will almost definitely need to be upgraded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea in your area, prices are regional. We ran 150' of 2" gas line to the pool equipment with tee to a 1-1/2" line for the BBQ and fire pit. Cost was $12 per ft plus an upgraded gas meter. Check with your gas company as your meter will almost definitely need to be upgraded.

Was there an adder for the riser on each side?

No. I was able to keep it low pressure because of the buried 2" line so there was no need to add regulators to run the pressure any higher. If you have limited line sizes (like 1" line) then you have to add in the cost of using regulators on either end.

Sounds like you should try to get multiple quotes. Just make sure it's by a plumber's qualified to do gas work.

Uncle Salty...I hope your quote is within shooting distance of what ours will be. We are thinking we'll need 60ish' run. We were given a ballpark of $1,000-$1,500 for just the gas line. I am really hoping we are under $1K! How long of a process was the installation of the line for you? Is this a 1 day thing or several? Thanks for the advice!

We just had this done recently, about a 75' run. Labor, material and permit was around $500 plus about $100 to Duke to increase our gas flow to accommodate the heater. Now debating on adding a heat pump as well.

Uncle Salty...I hope your quote is within shooting distance of what ours will be. We are thinking we'll need 60ish' run. We were given a ballpark of $1,000-$1,500 for just the gas line. I am really hoping we are under $1K! How long of a process was the installation of the line for you? Is this a 1 day thing or several? Thanks for the advice!

$1,000-$1,500 seems really high, hopefully you'll be more in my ballpark. The whole process including trenching to final hookup took only a few hours. Interested to hear what y'all end up paying, when's it getting hooked up?

I thought it seemed really high, too. I have several estimates coming next week and *fingers crossed* my numbers come out more like yours! :D

$1,000-$1,500 seems really high, hopefully you'll be more in my ballpark. The whole process including trenching to final hookup took only a few hours. Interested to hear what y'all end up paying, when's it getting hooked up?

I thought it seemed really high, too. I have several estimates coming next week and *fingers crossed* my numbers come out more like yours! :D

What heater did you go with? Also did you decide on going with a SWG yet, I was just reading your under construction thread. We're just finishing our pool house now and getting landscaping quotes, I feel like I'm hemorraging $, but it'll be worth it. We still haven't even used the pool yet as I'm afraid of the gas bill :(

We actually haven't chosen a heater yet. I think we have it narrowed down to two. Initially we weren't planning on a heater at all...but excitement has gotten the better of me and now I am impatient to swim! If I can get the line run for a reasonable amount of money I want to do the heater....if not we may go without this year and decide next year....because like you, I feel like I am hemorrhaging $! The two heaters we are looking at are a Pentair MasterTemp and a Hayward one...model escapes me at the moment. How about you?

What heater did you go with? Also did you decide on going with a SWG yet, I was just reading your under construction thread. We're just finishing our pool house now and getting landscaping quotes, I feel like I'm hemorraging $, but it'll be worth it. We still haven't even used the pool yet as I'm afraid of the gas bill :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most of our heater experts here recommend Raypak over Pentair or Hayward. Better reliability and easier/less expensive to fix. Just as good on the warranty.

I am getting a Raypak installed, all my equipment and lights are Pentair. My PB ran a 180 ft 1 1/2 inch line from the far side of the house to the equipment pad behind the detached garage, he quoted $900 but had to buy extra piping as it only comes in 150 ft rolls. They are coming next week to install a bigger gas meter. I hope it is worth it to get some extra swim time. If all goes smoothly today and tomorrow I am getting plastered on Friday!!!

Do make sure you call the gas company first, before running the line. The costs and ability to approve additional volume is peculiar at best. Usually not an issue, but I have seen gas companies not approve "convenience" loads that might jeopardize their system. Basically the gas volume you want for your pool might be dedicated to your neighbor's heating load. Generally there are no requirements for them to heat your pool, so any system upgrades could be at your expense. Again, this is not common but you certainly want to verify first.

I second the Raypak - going into season 3 with mine and really enjoying it.

Gas line prices can be all over the place depending on where you live in and other factors. I can tell you in my area of FL you would be close to the $1K mark. Sure the PE pipe is not that expensive but you also have to have risers on each end and those can be a bit pricey (Please don't quote internet prices on these as the vast majority of installers do not buy from the internet but from a supply house.)

Raypak is the best heater on the market at the moment.

We actually haven't chosen a heater yet. I think we have it narrowed down to two. Initially we weren't planning on a heater at all...but excitement has gotten the better of me and now I am impatient to swim! If I can get the line run for a reasonable amount of money I want to do the heater....if not we may go without this year and decide next year....because like you, I feel like I am hemorrhaging $! The two heaters we are looking at are a Pentair MasterTemp and a Hayward one...model escapes me at the moment. How about you?

I went with Hayward as all my other equipment is Hayward. Consensus by the majority of the members here seems to be Raypak, I'd probably listen to them if I were you as they seem to know there stuff. I'd also consider a Heat Pump if I were you living in the climate that we do.

Holy Smokes! Got the first quote on the gas line last night and it was $1,995.00. I nearly fainted! We have two more appointments today (one of which is the gas company here) and I am hoping someone comes in lower than that. If not, I think we'll be swimming the "old fashioned" way this year. AKA when Summer decides to warm our pool! :rolleyes:

Running gas lines seems to always be more expensive than people want it to be. But, it is also the worst place to cut corners. I agree that a heat pump is something good to consider. Also, an 8mil solar cover will help a lot by significantly reducing heat loss overnight.

Yeah, gas lines are not cheap, especially so if they have to run them through the house as there are lots of considerations to be made for safety. As Danny said, definitely not something you want to cut corners on.

Depending on your utility rates, a heat pump might be a good choice BUT you also need a pretty hefty electrical service to run one. Do you have a spare 240V/50A service at the equipment pad.

Gas or electric, a solar cover is a must-have for pool heating.

pooldv...I investigated solar covers a bit, but the reviews seem very varied. Our reason for investigating a heater was to extend out swimming season a bit here in NC. So instead of Mid-May through Late September, perhaps we could start in April and go through early October. Would a solar cover actually heat up the pool or just prevent heat loss overnight? I'm absolutely happier at that price point...but want to make sure it will help with what we are hoping to do. My other concern is we have a freeform pool...so I am guessing we would have to buy one a bit too big and somehow cut it to size? Ideas like this make me wish I had gotten a rectangular pool! :rolleyes:

Running gas lines seems to always be more expensive than people want it to be. But, it is also the worst place to cut corners. I agree that a heat pump is something good to consider. Also, an 8mil solar cover will help a lot by significantly reducing heat loss overnight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.